To finish or not to finish?

Bierschinken

I´m pretty unsure if i should get my Warmothneck with a clear gloss finish or not.
I like oiled necks. Got a MusicMan and it just plays pretty good, but Warmot say it´s better to have the neck finished....

What shall I do?

Finish it yourself with the same stuff MusicMan uses, Birchwood-Casey's Gunstock Tru-oil.  It hardens as it cures and passes as a finish according to Warmoth, and it just plain feels great to play on.

Rose

My Warmoth build has a raw wenge neck, and after playing it, I'll -never- go back to finished necks. If that's not a good testimonial, I don't know what else to say  :eek:.

In short, raw is the balls.  :headbang1:

I'm strange, I like the feel of the Rosewood neck that I have and I also like the clear gloss Maple ones I have.  I'm not a fan of satin finishes, for some reason I think they feel "dirty".  strange I know.  The raw neck does feel nice, I just like the color of the maples.

To the OP: are we talking about a Maple neck? Many wood types do not require finish at all and that is really the way to go unless you must have maple.

tfcreative said:
To the OP: are we talking about a Maple neck? Many wood types do not require finish at all and that is really the way to go unless you must have maple.

100% agreed there, if it's a wood that can be raw, you should seriously consider it, but maple needs a nice finish.

I agree about satin finishes feeling "dirty"... Mine seem to "gum up" quicker than the glossier necks.

I have a Canary / Ebony neck on my tele..... sounds VERY close to maple.... and no finish.... awesome!

Rosewood feels awesome.

I also have a bubinga neck.  Bubinga sounds (and looks awesome) and it's very fast under my hand, but it doesn't have that waxy smooth feeling like rosewood.  It's sort of rough, in a smooth sort of way.  ....you know?

I REALLY want to try wenge... probably on my next build (bass!)

for a non-maple bolt on neck, warmoth rocks. but I like my maple necks with just a bit of oil, regular lemoil, nothing more or less, and warmoths warranty doesnt 'like' that, so to say...

Back