Tips on installing copper shielding in control cavity?

M

metalman22105

Anyone have any helpful tips when working on installing copper shielding tape?

Last time I did this, I did it in four parts:

1 - cut out the outline of the bottom of the hole in the copper, then stick it down
2 - measure the depth of the hole, then cut a copper strip that wide.  Stick this around the edges (trimming as appropriate).  make sure that it overlaps the bottom piece.
3 - solder the edges to the bottom in a continuous bead.  A little practice would not hurt to make sure you don't turn your guitar into a wood burning kit.
4 - cut out another piece for underneath the pickguard/control cavity cover.  Stick that on, drilling holes as required.

Solder a ground wire to the appropriate pieces and you are done!

Note that I don't bother with this any more.  It's just not needed IMHO.

Wear a glove; you can cut up the ends of your fingers using them to press-fit the tape. Not enough to bleed, just enough to make playing painful for a few days. And who needs that???

Check this guys tutorial, from beginning to end.  He did a great job of photo journalling his entire build, including the shielding.

http://www.micahatwell.com/projectorange/

whitebison66 said:
Wear a glove; you can cut up the ends of your fingers using them to press-fit the tape. Not enough to bleed, just enough to make playing painful for a few days. And who needs that???
+1 I shielded my guitar, i didnt notice this until i washed my hands. The skin on my fingertips was like ribbons, not deep enough to bleed, but enough to rip up the outer layers of skin.

Back