Tips for finishing in Florida

Nicholasdaniel

I was going to go to Florida this summer for a few months and was wodering how I would go about doing a nitro finish because of all the humidity would it affect finishing it drastically

You can do it, but drying times may very greatly based on ambient temperature/humidity; where in Florida are you going? Weather patterns can vary a lot in different parts of the state

CB lives in Florida, you might want to PM him...

I'll be in central Florida between June and august. I currently live in the dry desert of el paso Texas but I have no where to hang the body. I'm just worried that if I start while I'm there for the summer it won't be done by the time I come home.

And thanks Jack I'll be sure to send him a pm soon

Blushing could be an issue.  Really try to find a day with low humidity if you are using outside air.
Also, taking a cool body (inside air conditioned) into a hot humid environment could really compound things (condensation).

It can get pretty humid in MD too, and I have had blushing issues in the summer.  Fall is nice and dry.
Climate controlled with a large vent to the outside can work, till you blow all the climate controlled air out the window.
Hopefully enough to at least get it touch dry, though.

Thin coats will also help.  May want to keep some "Blush Out" handy, it really works.
Also, add some retarder to you mix if you are using spray equipment.
Even a Preval unit, which would allow you to add retarder, will spray as well as your standard aerosol can.
A Preval with a 50% Lacquer 25% Retarder, 25% Lacquer Thinner mixture, sprayed in thin coats...

Good Luck,
James

Think its possible to finsih it in 6 weeks?
Well i say six weeks because thats all the time ill have down there i could finish the like rest when i fly back but a part of me says its not a good idea to move it let alone touch until its done

The release of pressure from rattle cans causes the temperature of the aerosol to drop, in a humid environment the aerosol will then collect moisture from the air - this is how blushing occurs.  Warming the cans in a water bath just prior to spraying can reduce this problem.

Good ventilation is a must, and try to avoid any abrupt temperature changes.

I dont see blush that often in rattle cans, and I'm in a virtual swamp here

Sorry, for my confusing reply. I'm in central florida, Gainesville, UF , go gators.. You will have no problem finishing in six weeks. I have done many down here...

Back