Tinted Finish on this Neck... Where to start

GUNSNGUITARS

I have a neck I just built, Birdseye on Flame Maple. I have only finished 3 guitars so I'm relatively new at finishing. I have looked through recent topics trying to find out the answer to my question but couldn't find what I was looking for... so I apologize if it has been posted before. Basically I have some Vintage Amber dye and I am going to shoot my guitar and Neck with KTM-9 from lmii.com. What is a good baseline to start at for Dye/Finish to achieve this finish ON NECK (click on link) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GL-Comanche-Electric-Guitar?sku=510980

Also has anyone else ever used KTM-9. I bought a quart of it and am going to try it out. Sounds like some pretty good reviews on it. I have sprayed with Nitro in the past, but it is 2 degrees this morning in Wisconsin, which may be just a tad bit too cold to spray outside. Thanks guys
Tim

KTM-9 a water based finish....

Make sure your dye is compatible with it.

You're gonna have to vary things a bit.  That is, go sort of a light amber on the first coat, and see how it colors.  The combination of dye, KTM-9 and wood will be unique, so... this will be a bit of an experiement, but I think it can be controlled.

I'd try to spray some KTM-9 first, on a scrap piece and see how thick it goes down.  Its always better to lay on several light layers of a dyed coat, getting the color you want, then go clear only, as a topcoat.

So, try a light mix... not too amber, but lay on a few coats - IF - the build up is not excessive.  If you think it will be, then you're gonna have to increase the dye in the mix so you're total build up is not too great.  Then... prepare for at least TWO top clear coats so you can have ample finish to level and buff and not dig into the dyed subcoats.

Thanks CB. I'm guessing to make about a 4 oz mix for the neck. It says that one quart will do 4-6 guitars. Apparently KTM-9 goes alot farther than Nitro. Anyways if I were to make a 4 oz mix for the neck, where would you start with a mixing ratio. I'm using StewMac Colortone Stains that are compatible with Water Base Finishes. Thanks much for the help. I'll try to let everyone know how the KTM-9 worked out, although I may not know for years how the finish holds up to abuse.

I have done a few bodies, and a lot of test boards in KTM-9.
I use it for Holoflash finishes.

It is really pretty easy to work with, although I think it has more of a tendency to run (drips) than nitro.
You need to go thin to avoid drips.  It really does melt into itself, like nitro, which is cool.

Too may coats, too fast, too thick will give you small air bubbles in the finish that will not sand out, just like nitro.
Be patient.

Just like =CB= said, I would get your color with the first few coats, and then lay several layers of clear over that.
You don't want to be level sanding into the tinted finish.

On the can it says "DO NOT FREEZE".
I wouldn't spray it below freezing.

It's pretty durable stuff once its dry.

Good Luck
James

Hi James, I am spraying this indoors in my shop.  However, when I opened the can yesterday, it was slushy. I was worried about it freezing and the guy at LMII told me they would replace it if it happened. I'm assuming the can is ruined, but I'll wait until tomorrow to call them. I may have to wind up waiting until warmer weather anyways just to get it shipped here. It sounds like your real happy with KTM-9. Do you have any pics of your work using it??

Hey,

I'm feeling lazy but, here are hyperlinks.

"Lana" was done in KTM9.
http://www.watershedguitars.com/lana.html

as was "Shane's Robin"
http://www.watershedguitars.com/Shanes%20Robin.html

I still haven't put up the finished shots of "Shane's Robin" on the website.
Hope you like Holoflash.
:icon_biggrin:
RobinFinished.jpg

James

That is a awesome finish. I checked out your web too. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know when I'm done with the finishing.

Back