Tighter hotter PAF

Doughboy

I'm looking for a warm PAF type PU with a thighter over all sound & slightly more output to put into a basswood strat.

I'm not into the super high output fuzzy, high endy ceramic type PUs.

Any suggestions?

SustainerPlayer said:
If by "tighter" you mean less low-end rumble then look into the DiMarzio Mo' Joe™ DP216. It also adds a bit more treble but in basswood this just gives the edge needed.

I mean less low end boomy mushy type sound that a lot of vintage PUs have. Something more articulate than a PAF but still warm.

SustainerPlayer said:
The Mo' Joe should fit the bill then. I got in a Warmoth basswood strat with rec TOM and a Gonc neck with Pau board on.  :icon_thumright:

EDIT: But we already been through that in another thread.  :laughing7:

The one thing that scares me about any Satriani based PUs is his tone. As great a player as he is, I can't stand his tone. So fuzzy, trebly & none organic sounding. My hope is that that's a product of his amp & effects & not the PU, but it still kinda turns me off.

The Seymour Duncan SH-12 or TB-12 produces the exact results you described. It's slightly hotter, and "tighter" sounding than a classic PAF.

Street Avenger said:
The Seymour Duncan SH-12 or TB-12 produces the exact results you described. It's slightly hotter, and "tighter" sounding than a classic PAF.

I had a Screamin Demon in my soloist a while ago & got rid of it. It sounded too midy & glassy for my tastes.Plus, I've had way too many problems & inconsitencies with Seymour Duncan PUs & swore them off last year.

If I wanted a slightly hotter PAF, I'd go with a Bare Knuckle Black Dog.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZH-blackdog.html

Doughboy said:
Street Avenger said:

I had a Screamin Demon in my soloist a while ago & got rid of it. It sounded too midy & glassy for my tastes.Plus, I've had way too many problems & inconsitencies with Seymour Duncan PUs & swore them off last year.

That's strange, because I have 5 guitars with Duncan pickups and they are all amazingly consistent. The Screamin' Demon has only SLIGHTLY more mids than a classic PAF, which is what makes it "tighter" sounding, and it has just a touch more high-end. Compare it on Duncan's website to their '59 model and look at the EQ numbers and DC resistance. Ir should deliver the sound that the OP is describing.

Street Avenger said:
Doughboy said:
Street Avenger said:

That's strange, because I have 5 guitars with Duncan pickups and they are all amazingly consistent. The Screamin' Demon has only SLIGHTLY more mids than a classic PAF, which is what makes it "tighter" sounding, and it has just a touch more high-end. Compare it on Duncan's website to their '59 model and look at the EQ numbers and DC resistance. Ir should deliver the sound that the OP is describing.

I've had such bad luck with Duncans, especially last year when I ordered 3 PUs from their custom shop & they all arrived sounding horrible. All low endy & no treble. I just had it with them & now go with Dimarzios for large PU companies.

I was told the Screamin Demon was a tweaked PAF as well, but it sure didn't sound like one in my guitar. I had a Duncan 59 in there & replaced it with a Screamin Demon & the tone changed so much....for the worse.

I may be going the cheap route here but oh well.  I have some GFS Cruncy Pats in my 3HB LP and I think they're great.  Absolutely the best deal out there for $28.  I've used Dimarzios, Duncans, Bartolini, ect. and I think that the four GFS pickups I've purchased have been just as good.  For the price what have you got to lose?

shanejw said:
I may be going the cheap route here but oh well.  I have some GFS Cruncy Pats in my 3HB LP and I think they're great.  Absolutely the best deal out there for $28.  I've used Dimarzios, Duncans, Bartolini, ect. and I think that the four GFS pickups I've purchased have been just as good.  For the price what have you got to lose?

i've wondered about those. i thought about (and might still) buying those for my telecaster deluxe and getting a white or pearloid pickguard. i've heard they're GFS' version of the Dimarzio Super Distortion, but also somewhat PAF-ish

I used to be all about humbuckers, but after building a few singles and humbuckers, and learning about what does what and how, I'm totally into singles, and believe it or not, you can get some great crunch from singles.

I think alot of people think humbuckers are rock and singles are easy listening, but that's not true.  You want a good single that does both?  look at the roadhouse pups, his singles pack a wallop.

http://roadhousepickups.com/

Alfang said:
I think alot of people think humbuckers are rock and singles are easy listening, but that's not true.

Of course it's not. Look at Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Eric Johnson, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton... the list is long. None of those guys could ever be accused of playing "easy listening", and they were all about single coil pickups (and not P90s). In fact, when I was first starting out, it was frustrating because so many guys could romp and stomp with single coil guitars, but it was tough to do yourself because it was hard to find a place to practice that would let you turn everything up to 11. There weren't any master volume amps back then, so it was wrack the amp or suck. Or, you could get a fuzzbox or something and beat up on the amp's input stages. But, that always sounded like garbage, much like it does today. Natural harmonic distortion and overdrive are always best.

+1 on the Roadhouse pups. I have a set from Ken that are absolutely amazing!!! I am going to build a guitar just for them. Right now they're sittin in my trusty old strat and they just m
need a nnice new modern home. These things seriously can thump crunch and chime at the same time. :party07:

The ones I'd consider trying:

Screamin Demon, Custom 5, Brobucker (Seymour Duncan custom shop), Bare Knuckle Nailbomb, Cold Sweat, DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF.

I must recommend the WCR Fillmore set here too. It's really good and exactly what the thread title describes. 13.5K etc.

Back