Tighter hotter PAF

WHAT? a "expert" on pups named after a Scotch. thought he would be an expert on sheep.  Hey no offense meant, I could not control myself on that, it was just to ..... ah shucks,  :guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2:
since when does it take a humbucker to break up a amp? I think we have been using singles to do such since the first P90.
I really think so much is now days cubby holed we believe fiction over fact, I mean most of those sweet Jazz Boxes run humbuckers and they would not even think of using distortion.
BUT, DiMarzio put out teh Super Distortion many years ago and we all now believe you need humbuckers to get distortion, BULL HOCKEY I scream, a good tube amp and a set of single coils will rock your socks off with more dynamic range than a humbucker can even think of delivering.
I have to agree humbuckers can be more stylish looking in a LP than a set of singles would be, and that many nowdays think singles are to noisy, but all in all singles are the pups that launched rock and roll, and are still here with us for a reason.

Jusatele said:
WHAT? a "expert" on pups named after a Scotch. thought he would be an expert on sheep.  Hey no offense meant, I could not control myself on that, it was just to ..... ah shucks,  :guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2:

Hey, good to see someone knowing this fine Scotch. I like it a lot and it has a cool name so...  Actually when I first heard its name I thought it was Russian (you know like Iron-Clad Pudovkin and such).

LOL, I know nothing about those fluffy fellahs. ;)

Jusatele said:
WHAT? a "expert" on pups named after a Scotch. thought he would be an expert on sheep.   Hey no offense meant, I could not control myself on that, it was just to ..... ah shucks,  :guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2:
since when does it take a humbucker to break up a amp? I think we have been using singles to do such since the first P90.
I really think so much is now days cubby holed we believe fiction over fact, I mean most of those sweet Jazz Boxes run humbuckers and they would not even think of using distortion.
BUT, DiMarzio put out teh Super Distortion many years ago and we all now believe you need humbuckers to get distortion, BULL HOCKEY I scream, a good tube amp and a set of single coils will rock your socks off with more dynamic range than a humbucker can even think of delivering.
I have to agree humbuckers can be more stylish looking in a LP than a set of singles would be, and that many nowdays think singles are to noisy, but all in all singles are the pups that launched rock and roll, and are still here with us for a reason.

For one thing, P-90s hum.  For another, humbuckers have a smoother-sounding mid-range when overdriven, and less of a spiky high-end. It is my firm belief that single coils sound best for Clean, and full-size humbuckers sound best for Crunch.

Lagavulin said:
Jusatele said:
WHAT? a "expert" on pups named after a Scotch. thought he would be an expert on sheep.   Hey no offense meant, I could not control myself on that, it was just to ..... ah shucks,  :guitarplayer2: :guitarplayer2:

Hey, good to see someone knowing this fine Scotch. I like it a lot and it has a cool name so...  Actually when I first heard its name I thought it was Russian (you know like Iron-Clad Pudovkin and such).

I get a bottle of the 15 for my birthday every year, good stuff, but it cost 85 and change here in California

Street Avenger said:
Jusatele said:

For one thing, P-90s hum.  For another, humbuckers have a smoother-sounding mid-range when overdriven, and less of a spiky high-end. It is my firm belief that single coils sound best for Clean, and full-size humbuckers sound best for Crunch.
And a lot of guys agree, how ever I just did a gig yesterday where I only brought out my PRS Custom 22 triple soapbar, had no problems on stage with humming and got compliments during the breaks on the tone of my guitar, I use no fuzz or distortion besides what I can get out of my tubes. So it goes both ways, I think it is easier to get smoother midrange out of a humbucker, but it is not that you cannot get a P90 to be quiet or smooth, you just fiddle a bit more.

Jusatele said:
Lagavulin said:
Jusatele said:

I get a bottle of the 15 for my birthday every year, good stuff, but it cost 85 and change here in California

I get a bottle in Christmas and one in Easter...twice a year is what I can afford lol. Here in Greece the 16-yo one is 45 euros.

Lagavulin said:
Jusatele said:
Lagavulin said:
Jusatele said:

I get a bottle in Christmas and one in Easter...twice a year is what I can afford lol. Here in Greece the 16-yo one is 45 euros.
2 bottles a year, I am Jealous, good stuff

Gibson Burstbucker Pro, #1 (not the Burstbucker #1, the PRO #1)

Those are BB#2's with Alnico V... not a boomtown, but a snappy pickup.

For lower output... and a tone I like better actually, the BB#1 which is underwound a bit.  Very balanced, but can sound thin in certain guitars.  It might compliment the basswood well.

Another vote for WCR Godwoods. I have a set in one of my Cu22's and they are simply the best pickup I have ever used, and I have owned and tried plenty of BKP's.

i've always loved DiMarzio for everything. affordable, consistent quality, awesome customer service. I'd try the PAF Pro if I were you - it's intended to be exactly what you said: a tighter, hotter PAF, but not a really hot "distortion" kind of pickup.

i read what you said about Joe Satriani, but i can assure that the pickup he's using along isn't what gives him his tone. His signature amp, how he sets it up, and the production values of his recordings are all great factors in the sound you associate with him. Believe me, there are always going to be people making music you hate with gear that you'd love. I mean, look what all those boring old rich white guys have done to the archtop!  :icon_jokercolor:

Back