Threaded inserts

I use 8-32 stainless Phillips oval head machine screws and brass inserts. The inserts aren't sold by exterior thread as they're supposed to be self-threading, but it ends up being a 5/16"-16 thread (E-Z Lok #400-008) and I tap for that. The hardwoods necks are made of tap quite nicely, and doing so eliminates the fear of splitting the wood. Be sure to get a "bottoming tap" so your threads are uniform in what ends up being a fairly shallow hole. Also, it helps a lot to countersink the hole just a smidge so the insert installation tool has clearance and doesn't chew up the insert or leave it protruding on the face of the neck heel.

Kevin, do you put any adhesive on the inserts when you install them into the neck?

Not usually. Years ago, I'd use some epoxy once in a while, but there doesn't seem to be a need for it. Besides, if you ever needed to remove one for some reason (cross-threaded insert, for instance) that would make it a nightmare.

OK, thanks. I'm going to try those. I've been using the ones for metal but they're steel and these are brass, which could be better.

I tried using stainless steel inserts years ago too, but had too much trouble so I switched to the brass.

I should point out with those particular inserts I use a 1/4" Forstner bit to drill the insert's hole, then a 3/8" Forstner to countersink them, rather than use that "kit" I linked to earlier. The inserts, screws and installation tool all come from McMaster-Carr. I don't remember where the tap comes from, but I do remember it being tough to find. Odd thread size or something.

Cagey said:
I use 8-32 stainless Phillips oval head machine screws and brass inserts. The inserts aren't sold by exterior thread as they're supposed to be self-threading, but it ends up being a 5/16"-16 thread (E-Z Lok #400-008) and I tap for that. The hardwoods necks are made of tap quite nicely, and doing so eliminates the fear of splitting the wood. Be sure to get a "bottoming tap" so your threads are uniform in what ends up being a fairly shallow hole. Also, it helps a lot to countersink the hole just a smidge so the insert installation tool has clearance and doesn't chew up the insert or leave it protruding on the face of the neck heel.

Don't you mean 5/16-18?

No, it's 5/16"-16. It's an oddball size, so you won't find them quite as easily as you might hope.

I just went hunting, and apparently you can get them from DeWitt Tool for $15.48.

I did a search and found that DeWitt one and another one for $22.11 from Drill America. I'll order the DeWitt one if I can't find one for less. Thanks for the information.

Rgand said:
I did a search and found that DeWitt one and another one for $22.11 from Drill America. I'll order the DeWitt one if I can't find one for less. Thanks for the information.
Rob, I got mine a here, couple of years ago:
https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=7754837&utm_source=VIP&utm_medium=Clicks&utm_campaign=20190915reorder
Cost is still under $11, but I don't remember how much shipping was.

Thanks, Steve. I checked and their shipping is $7 plus another $1 tax. Still up there but certainly acceptable considering the other sources.

Cagey said:
I tried using stainless steel inserts years ago too, but had too much trouble so I switched to the brass.

I should point out with those particular inserts I use a 1/4" Forstner bit to drill the insert's hole, then a 3/8" Forstner to countersink them, rather than use that "kit" I linked to earlier. The inserts, screws and installation tool all come from McMaster-Carr. I don't remember where the tap comes from, but I do remember it being tough to find. Odd thread size or something.

Do the stainless inserts (E-Z Lok 8-32, the same as you use but steel instead of brass) use the same tap?

Not sure. I stopped using them quite a while back. I'd have to see the one's you're talking about. In any case, I'm not sure what advantage they'd bring to the party anyway, at least on guitars/basses. I suspect they're designed more for outdoor or marine use.

Cagey said:
Not sure. I stopped using them quite a while back. I'd have to see the one's you're talking about. In any case, I'm not sure what advantage they'd bring to the party anyway, at least on guitars/basses. I suspect they're designed more for outdoor or marine use.

Thank you for the quick reply! Wow!

The main advantage is that they are the inserts I've already ordered. Heh. Judging from the picture they might be 5/16-14, which is an easier tap to find, which I guess is another "advantage."

EDIT: They are 5/16-16, just like the brass inserts.

I screwed up a nice Wenge neck. I think I'll make a jig for the next one.

Back