Threaded inserts in necks

Patrick from Davis

I think that this would be a nice option.  While there was a post about this a little while ago, it seems to me that as a "factory" option this would eliminate quite a number of the problems.  The Warmoth facility can properly secure the necks, drill, and install the inserts because they have the equipment.  The garage based operations will most likely have to do some improvising to do this.  It also allow Warmoth to have Factory tested and OK'd parts used.  The bolts could be for sale in the parts section that fit correctly and are made of the proper metal.  It really does make sense to me.  Either that, or I am just lazy.
Patrick

yeah i like this idea, because i don't want to screw a virgin wenge neck.  :laughing7:  or do i.

any way i'd rather have them do it, i would probably break something. 

i'd also like it if they drilled for bolt washers on the back of the neck pocket. that way i could use washers instead of a plate, id do it my self, but im to lazy to look for the washer that they only sell in gecko packages.

I'm sure there are potential issues with adding threaded inserts to a licensed Fender replacement neck and then selling it as a licensed product.

and for the record, you'd still need special tooling to install the inserts. it's rather convenient to use a drill press and swap from the drill bit to the hex/phillips bit before anything is taken off centerline. you do need to twist the inserts in by hand - there is no way you could get a 3-axis CNC to do this with precision - and you need to do this with the bit aligned right on the center axis of the hole

just my two Rupees

R

SkuttleFunk said:
just my two Rupees

R

um dude either thats a foreign currency i've never heard of or some ones planing a frat party.  :(  i might have to call some ones parents.

any way, warmoth cant just do it on a drill press (exactly how you do it) and insert the inserts?  don't tell me they don't have a single drill press in the whole gee golly gosh darn place. thats hard to believe, like big foot or a fair election.

at today's exchange rate, 1 Indian Rupee has an equivalent value of  US $0.02486

so it's roughly my $.05 on the subject  :laughing8:

all the best,

R

When you said Rupees I instantly thought of the Legend of Zelda. :laughing7:

Bumped up. Is thiis going to be considered, cause this would be a great idea. Saves doweling and re-drilling when you strip the neck mounting holes.

I have heard of custom builders also putting T-nuts underneath the fretboard before gluing it on, after routing out an appropriate washer-shaped space in the necks for the heads of the T-nuts. Of course it's extra work, for which I would gladly pay a going woodworking rate. They don't have to use a Fender peghead shape, if that's what it took.... this would set them way, way ahead of the rest of pack of other neck suppliers. And of course the others would say it's WRONG "because that's not the way Leo did it." I don't care how LEO did it... grrrr.... I would PAY for it, O.K.? :hello2:

Well, did Leo make asym 5 string necks?  Or necks from Ebony, or Satine, or lord knows what else?  Not to sound snotty, but I really don't know.  I am unsure about 24 3/4 neck, bari necks, and several other things.  I might just, nope, I am too lazy to go and read the agreement.  This could be quite simply an addition to an order.  Not necessarily a standard feature, like the head on a strat when buying a strat neck, but say 6100 stainless steel frets.  Or is there a Fender with those...  It seems to me that if this was an issue then the other custom features that we drool over would have the same trouble.  My guess is that it is a pain in the bottom and Warmoth considers it more trouble than it is worth.  I am still hoping for this and stainless frets on bound necks, but we will see.
Patrick

The first threaded-insert, extra-wide, baritone boatneck scalloped SS6100 satine/ebony neck is mine, fellas.... :cool01: ...damn the torpedos!

stubhead said:
The first threaded-insert, extra-wide, baritone boatneck scalloped SS6100 satine/ebony neck is mine, fellas.... :cool01: ...damn the torpedos!

You forgot bound.

SkuttleFunk said:
I'm sure there are potential issues with adding threaded inserts to a licensed Fender replacement neck and then selling it as a licensed product.

and for the record, you'd still need special tooling to install the inserts. it's rather convenient to use a drill press and swap from the drill bit to the hex/phillips bit before anything is taken off centerline. you do need to twist the inserts in by hand - there is no way you could get a 3-axis CNC to do this with precision - and you need to do this with the bit aligned right on the center axis of the hole

just my two Rupees

R

The basic tools the DIYer needs for insert installation with professional results:

1) A small drill press with a tilting table, sometimes on sale for $39.95 at Harbor Freight.
2) Correct size drill bit also from Harbor Freight; mark depth with tape or collar, etc.
3)  A homemade shimmed and padded cradle, box, etc. is used to align the neck side to side. If using a vice avoid clamping fret ends. The tilting table aligns the neck lengthwise.
4) An Allen-head wrench, T-handle, driver, jam nut, Allen head bolt, etc. is used to install inserts.
5) Scrap wood for amateurs to practice on.
6) A reliable assistant to help secure the neck.

Wrap neck to protect it. Sharp hex drive notched steel self-aligning inserts are preferable. For clean insert installation an Allen-head driver can be turned manually using the drill press chuck while pulling on the feed handle.

one should also take a read thru this thread if you're planning to install these yourself
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=163.0
6) A reliable assistant to help secure the neck.

gotta call bunk on this part of the above suggestion. alignment is critical to the success of an insert install job, and you need the ability to solidy CLAMP the neck in place so that it won't move during the drilling (easy to do) or the insert insertion (difficult to do without good clamping workflow) ... your neck doesn't need to shift very much during the insert install activity to turn your project into a lesson on "drilling and plugging a bad hole before attempting to install an insert" activity.

I also recommend clamping to the edge on the neck and not directly against the frets, since there's potential to compress the frets enough to require a fret level if you don't use properly sized cauls to disperse the clamping force across multiple frets

all the best,

R

Back