Threaded inserts for attaching necks to bodies

Flufene

Hey all. Getting ready to do my first build. Does anyone have experience with threaded inserts to attach necks to bodies ?  Are they superior to the traditional wood screw and plate attachment method or am I overthinking this?

I generally use machine screws and threaded inserts on my builds.  Not only do you insure a tight, solid connection, but you never have to worry about stripping the wood.  Especially helpful on a neck with a truss rod that adjusts from the heel, requiring you to loosen the neck screws to access the truss rod.

Bill, tgo

A bunch of us do the threaded insert thing.  Myself and Cagey come to mind off the top. 

However, Cagey and I disagree on the correct insert.  I like these ones:
https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-inserts/tapping-inserts-for-softwood-7/
because in addition to being quite strong they are very forgiving to the true-ness of the hole in the neck.  They will actually self-adjust a bit to compensate for inaccuracies.  Although it says they are meant for softwoods I have had no issues installing these in many necks, including roasted maple.  However, you need to wax them and go slow.  Once installed they are very secure.  I put them in using an Allen key chucked in my drill press with the neck in a vice on the press table.  I turn it by hand - the machine stays turned off!  :)
I use 8-32 size.

However, Cagey disagrees and uses these ones:
https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-inserts/brass-tapping-inserts-for-hardwood/

He actually has a special jig for making sure that the hole is perfectly perpendicular, and has a special tap for creating the threads in the neck holes (it's not a standard thread).  They do have the advantage that they are stronger than the ones I like.

Other opinions?

Here is a post where Cagey provided a good rundown of how he fits threaded inserts.

Edit: updated link for new forum format

Last edited:
Mayfly said:
A bunch of us do the threaded insert thing.  Myself and Cagey come to mind off the top. 

Other opinions?

I'm curious about the motivation, I wouldn't bother to do this for my own guitar because if I ever began to strip the threads in the neck wood, I could switch to inserts / machine screws easily and it's going to be pretty clear when the threads are getting loose, so I figure I'd have some warning before it becomes critical.

I know others don't do this, however since I was doing custom, I let in a slot above the middle p/u where I can adjust the tension rod without removing the neck. It makes the adjustment so much easier.

Sadie-f said:
Mayfly said:

Other opinions?

I'm curious about the motivation, I wouldn't bother to do this for my own guitar because if I ever began to strip the threads in the neck wood, I could switch to inserts / machine screws easily and it's going to be pretty clear when the threads are getting loose, so I figure I'd have some warning before it becomes critical.

I know others don't do this, however since I was doing custom, I let in a slot above the middle p/u where I can adjust the tension rod without removing the neck. It makes the adjustment so much easier.

My motivation is that I install b-benders on most of my telecasters and I'm pulling on that neck all the time.  Experience taught me that the usual wood-screw slips in that application and the neck moves on you.

I have stainless steel threaded inserts in the neck of a Tele copy.
You can get those neck screws 'really' tight! The advantage is better sustain. I even did a before and after acoustic test to confirm it!
I assume it will my my Warmoth Tele too.

FYI in the days when Billy Sheehan had to use standard Fender basses he used to fit inserts and do them up 'really really really' tight!
All to get the best sustain and overall sound possible.
I remember reading that about 30 years ago...

Okay, now I have a question:
I have had threaded inserts installed in 2 of my Warmoth guitars (and I really like them). These necks are regular maple.
My question is with regard to roasted maple necks; are threaded inserts a good idea, or even necessary considering the hardness (and brittleness) of roasted maple? It seems to me that the standard wood screws would be less likely to strip out of a harder material like that. Can anyone here educate me on this?

Dunno man. But I've managed to install inserts on three roasted maple necks. I had no issues, but I was very careful.

Okay, as long as we're necroposting - I'll be installing the EZ-lok 8-32 inserts in my 12-string project, and I went shopping for a 5/16-16 tap to no avail. So I have nothing to offer except gratitude for the timely resurfacing of this thread, and for @mayfly providing his method above for those of us who lack the tool to tap the recess for the insert.

Okay, as long as we're necroposting - I'll be installing the EZ-lok 8-32 inserts in my 12-string project, and I went shopping for a 5/16-16 tap to no avail. So I have nothing to offer except gratitude for the timely resurfacing of this thread, and for @mayfly providing his method above for those of us who lack the tool to tap the recess for the insert.
The old "Cold Ethyl" posting eh?

Didn't see any reason to start a new thread on the same topic.
I got my tap from Fastenal.

Back