Threaded insert shopping.

J.D.ROOST

Well it finally happened.
I stripped a neck screw on my roasted maple neck  :(
I don't want to to the dowel or toothpick/glue thing and want to try to install the inserts.
Can somebody point me to an Amazon link to good hardware to use to do the inserts/bolts please?
Looks like EZ lock would be a good brand from a quick scan...but not sure on size.

I really appreciate any help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXTD7CJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These work great in 10-24. Put them in a roasted flame maple neck; build pics are forthcoming, but they work fantastically. I followed this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Us4j2puTs and had no issues. Note: he does not say he doesn't use the insert tool, but if you watch the video, he switches to a flathead screwdriver instead of the drive they give you with the threaded inserts. Do NOT use the drive they come with; it will chew the wood up beyond belief. No functional issues, but it ends up looking rather ugly (I made this mistake!) on what was for me an otherwise pretty much perfect installation. If you decide to use the drive, you could alternatively counter bore down about 1 mm from the top of the wood. The inserts should be sitting just under the surface of the wood, not on top of it, and it's impossible to make that happen with the included insert tool without counter bored holes  (or, chewing up the wood to heck and getting an ugly install).

Some other notes: I was very generous with EZ glide as I worked up my pilot size, use exclusively Brad point bits instead of regular drill bits, worked up my pilot bit size as slowly as possible until I reached the diameter where I switched to the bit they included, was always sucking up shavings with a vacuum etc. Basically, I made sure I was so overly cautious that as little as possible could go wrong, was my take-home message.

Final note: I did not use the standard Fender profile for the mounting bolts, as I made a custom contoured heel w neck ferrules instead of a plate (which required me to push some of the screws in a mm for the ferrules to fit on the other side of the neck). The threaded insert install itself was so easy I don't see why it wouldn't work on a standard Fender profile.

I actually ordered the EZ LOK 8-32 stainless "knife edge inserts" after watching a Youtube video.
It seems more logical to me to use a tap though (should stop any worries about splitting the wood). Bit worried that the self tapping inserts and a roasted neck is not a good combo.
Appreciate the links.

Back