Thoughts?

no.jpg

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Aesthetics aside  :sad:

There's a reason to avoid sharp edges and other such sharp points - they're extremely fragile, particularly when exposed.

I fail to see your reasoning. What is the purpose of this particular take on a design that has proven very effective for centuries? It seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Not to mention that the sound of a classical guitar is very dependent on the size, shape and construction of the body. It's a whole different critter than a solidbody. So not only would it have some ... ah, distinctive looks, the sound would probably match. Forget finding a case to fit the poor thing.

I'm gonna guess the idea wasn't to improve on the sound of a classical guitar but to draw attention to the irony that's bound up in that particular git-fiddle. And I think it's funny. Who cares if it's playable? Walk into guitar center. How many of those are playable or sound good?  :rock-on:

The lower teardrop shape was for fun, mostly messing around with gimp. The cutaway and fretboard shape were serious though.

It's been done before with great results. At the time the guitar was sold by the original owners family and resold by the dealer it commanded the highest price of any non-famous person owned guitar.  It is suppose to sound great from what I have read about it too.
DAngelicoteardrop.jpg

My feeling is this:  You won't know how it sounds unless you try it, but because it's unusual, it will necessitate additional work to make it since there aren't any standard design plans available.  You also need to consider that you may have trouble getting a set of boards of the right dimensions for that big lower bout at a reasonable price.  I think the extra surface area could give you some improved bass response, maybe - but the corresponding chopped-off upper bout (that's a BIG cutaway you're imagining) might lose you some higher-frequency response.  Totally speculating here, of course.  That said:  If you install a high-quality pickup/mic system, you may be able to come up with a serviceable amplified tone no matter what the axe sounds like un-aided.  If you think it will be fun, and a good learning experience, go for it.  But plan also to get a lot of raised eyebrows and/or reflexive rejection (kinda like what you've run into already on this thread).

Thanks for the responses. I love the old teardrop arch tops, that was the inspiration. I play classical a lot, but I can't stand the look of traditional classical guitars, and access to the upper frets with my small hands is nearly impossible. The fretboard extension on this is a great improvement in the looks department, and the cutaway is nice and deep for the extra reach. The teardrop, again, was just an idea that didn't turn out right. I don't know. Later when I'm in front of a computer I'll make more mockups.

Thanks!

Back