Thoughts on a new neck

timezon3

Hi y'all, I'm new to the site, though not necessarily new to Warmoth.  My main guitar is a partsocaster based on a Warmoth body (alder & quilted maple), and a Fender YJM neck.  My other guitar is also a YJM.  While I've been playing the scalloped necks for a while, lately I've been thinking I'd like to have a standard-neck strat around as well.  Also, I'd love to try a neck that doesn't need a finish.  And while I'm at it, I can get stainless steel frets.  Oh, and that new supernova inlay...  :)  Attached is a picture of the guitar as it currently sits. 

As you can see, I have a thing for purple, so I was thinking of doing a roasted maple & purpleheart neck.  I know purpleheart can be iffy (maybe get maroon, maybe get vivid purple), but I think any variant of purpleheart would probably look good on the guitar.  I'm also kind of considering a full purpleheart neck, but I'm not sure if it would look good, or be too much (or too heavy).  Another combination that also sounds interesting to me is purpleheart & ebony.  Anybody have any thoughts on these options?  If I were to do a full purpleheart neck, is one-piece an option?  I think that requires vintage/modern construction?

TZ

Attachments

• purple_strat.jpg
    purple_strat.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 353
Warmoth's roasted maple necks have consistently had a really nice, rich, caramel color and I think Purpleheart could work with that. When I was considering purple heart as a fretboard I Googled images of guitars with any purple heart involved to get a sense of the variations that were out there. Whether you go with roasted maple/purple heart or an all purple heart neck you can leave the wood without a finish and burnish the back of the neck yourself and it will be slick as glass. You can search this forum for info on hand burnishing. See who else responds to your post. PM me if looks like things are going slow that way and I can suggest a couple people to reach out to. For me, I generally spend a period of time visualizing the options and distilling things to the point of what I feel most strongly I want to live with. Regarding the one piece question I suggest you phone up Warmoth or email to confirm but as I recall the exotics are generally (often) two piece. My all Bubinga neck is. But I can't say they would not do one for you custom. Gotta ask.

Thanks for the reply.  The more I've been thinking and looking at images, the less I think I like the combination of  roasted maple & purpleheart.  Not sure the tan will go well with whatever color purpleheart I get.  I have seen some very attractive bass necks that are purpleheart shaft and ebony fretboard, though, so am kind of leaning that way right now.  I did play around with the builder yesterday, and found that I couldn't get it to make a 1-piece purpleheart (in fact, purpleheart shaft isn't listed as an option for Vintage/Modern construction), so I did e-mail them asking if it was something custom they could do.  We'll see what they say.

TZ

Purpleheart and ebony is a combination a lot of people would support. Depending on your budget, you would then also have the option of selecting a "unique choice" specific fretboard. The upcharge for that ranges between $45 and $65. Depends on if you want jet black or something streaky. After thinking for a bit I recalled that one of the reasons Warmoth has told me some of the exotic woods are not available in Vintage Modern was because they felt the harder woods benefited from their dual acting truss rod in the Modern neck version. I have one of the Modern necks but have preferred the Vintage Modern since I like having the truss rod adjustment easily available if needed. Lots of forum members swear by the Modern version though. Nothing I have had moved enough to need adjustment either way. Keep us updated as I am interested in what they tell you and we all love pictures when your neck arrives.

Response from Warmoth is that one-piece purpleheart is not possible.  No reason given, but your speculation that some exotics are only suitable for Modern construction seems reasonable.  They did say that they thought a 2-piece neck could be made with two reasonably well-matched pieces of purpleheart.  However, I'm still leaning towards purpleheart and ebony fretboard.  Will probably pull the trigger on this in the next few days:
Modern Construction CBS Strat neck
purpleheart neck
ebony fretboard
SubaruSupernova inlay
SS 6105 frets
Warmoth Radius

Then I'll just have to wait!

TZ

timezon3 said:
Response from Warmoth is that one-piece purpleheart is not possible.  No reason given, but your speculation that some exotics are only suitable for Modern construction seems reasonable.  They did say that they thought a 2-piece neck could be made with two reasonably well-matched pieces of purpleheart.  However, I'm still leaning towards purpleheart and ebony fretboard.  Will probably pull the trigger on this in the next few days:
Modern Construction CBS Strat neck
purpleheart neck
ebony fretboard
SubaruSupernova inlay
SS 6105 frets
Warmoth Radius

Then I'll just have to wait!

TZ

I am going to guess that we don't have Purpleheart blanks thick enough to do a 1-piece neck. Hence, 2-piece is the only option.

Your Purpleheart/Ebony solution sounds like a good plan. I've had consistently pleasing experiences with custom order necks. (Understanding of course the double edged sword of nature is that you take what the tree gives, which usually is pleasant looking and they can't really tell what will be the end result just looking at a neck blank. Which is why sometimes people get some surprise flame in their maple neck order) Aaron has a point about the neck blanks. They have to start with a thicker blank for a one piece neck. I had forgotten that aspect of it. Do share pics when your neck arrives, we don't get to see Purpleheart often enough and the inlays are one of their new designs. Best to you.

2nd Roasted Maple. I just got mine, haven't even played it. But that smell, OMG THAT SMELL!

The neck was so impressive, and so pleasantly fragrant (from across the room!) that I'm actually having second thoughts....

...........................second thoughts about allowing my luthier/tech put it together with his grubby mitts and tobacco stained fingernails. Its just TOO NICE!  :headbanging:

best necks I ever got are one piece goncalo alves. after years of playing the 2 teles I put them on they just get better. No finish required so they never get sticky onstage. and they have a great tone.
Just my 2 cents

Back