this company does all the wiring.

You know, when I read the header I was going to come down on you a bit because doing the wiring yourself is 99% of the fun of putting our guitars together. But, when I opened the link I saw the "Clapton Mid Boost" kit and got a smile on my face. I then took a tour of the site and you are correct, it's worth clicking on the link and adding to your favorites.
MULLY

mullyman said:
You know, when I read the header I was going to come down on you a bit because doing the wiring yourself is 99% of the fun of putting our guitars together. But, when I opened the link I saw the "Clapton Mid Boost" kit and got a smile on my face. I then took a tour of the site and you are correct, it's worth clicking on the link and adding to your favorites.
MULLY

I think wiring is maybe 1% of the fun. Bolting on the neck is my favorite part of "building."  :eek:ccasion14:

Come to think of it, I really need to get a better soldering iron. That's probably got a lot to do with it.

I have three good soldering irons, and I still consider wiring to be 90% of the suck of the job. Hell, I'd rather do fretwork.... :eek: :eek: :eek: God did not over-bless me with the "electrician gene", I spoze.

(or was it Darwin....?)

Interesting to hear your guys opinions. I love doing the wiring. It's the funnest part for me. What a cool addition to an already good thread. Let's hear it, guys, what part of the build do you favor the most? My favorite is wiring, as I said before, and my least favorite is drilling holes. Scares the bejeezus right out of me getting a drill bit near those beautiful bodies.
MULLY

I've yet to start my first Warmoth build but wiring would definitely be the best part I think. There isn't much of a challenge in bolting a neck to a body.

I've had a thing for electrics/electronics since I was like 10 years old and I'm quite proficient with a soldering iron if I may say so myself.

I just got an e-mail from my fiancee that a package arrived for me. I expect it's the Aguilar OBP-3 I ordered earlier this week.
Since I don't have the means at the moment to buy a neck or body, I figured I can still buy some of the cheaper parts that will eventually go into my build but that I can also test drive on my current basses. So that's what I'll be doing during the weekend and I'm looking forward to it!

mullyman said:
Interesting to hear your guys opinions. I love doing the wiring. It's the funnest part for me. What a cool addition to an already good thread. Let's hear it, guys, what part of the build do you favor the most? My favorite is wiring, as I said before, and my least favorite is drilling holes. Scares the bejeezus right out of me getting a drill bit near those beautiful bodies.
MULLY

I don't mind wiring as long as everything matches up (diagram and wire colors etc) otherwise i get confused.. I still don't see the logic in wiring, so I could never do it from the top of my head.
having said that, I am not very good at it... my wiring looks a bit messy. also, no matter how much I clean, sand, scratch my (top of the) pots and trem claws, I can never get anything to stick to them properly  :tard:

Marko said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

I don't mind wiring as long as everything matches up (diagram and wire colors etc) otherwise i get confused.. I still don't see the logic in wiring, so I could never do it from the top of my head.
having said that, I am not very good at it... my wiring looks a bit messy. also, no matter how much I clean, sand, scratch my (top of the) pots and trem claws, I can never get anything to stick to them properly  :tard:

Well, you'll probably get it to stick better, after roughing it up a bit, if you heat it up a bit first too. It'd doesn't need to be glowing red or anything but getting some heat on there helps.
MULLY

yeah, eventually I always get it to work... it always gets me a little pissed off though :)

my favorite part is adjusting the action  :icon_biggrin:  it means my wiring works, the guitar is together with no problems, and all it needs is some tweaking for comfort and playability. the intonation, on the other hand... annoying. but necessary. i'm really anal about having a correctly intoned (correct usage?) guitar. i guess we ALL are, being guitar players, but i'll put a guitar down and not touch it again if i can't get the intonation set.

I like the planning stages of electronics more.  (Un?)fortunately, I've done enough soldering that I tend to blow through it kind of mechanically.

I like screwdriver time.  It means that prep is over and it's time to join parts.  :icon_biggrin:

I think I like attaching the neck best - it means I'm done with the tuning machines, which is my least favorite part.

drewfx

drewfx said:
I think I like attaching the neck best - it means I'm done with the tuning machines, which is my least favorite part.

drewfx

I'm not crazy about that either... I always have to measure at least four times before I drill the holes! sperzels are the worst!! :)

Max said:
I'm pretty sure tuners are everyone's least favorite part.

I keep telling you guys, especially those who do a lot of guitar projects... that $35 StewMac part is worth every penny. It's totally unnecessary but well worth the convenience.

jay4321 said:
Max said:
I'm pretty sure tuners are everyone's least favorite part.

I keep telling you guys, especially those who do a lot of guitar projects... that $35 StewMac part is worth every penny. It's totally unnecessary but well worth the convenience.

Which part is that?
MULLY

Back