Thinline '08

Kostas

Senior member
Messages
1,381
This is my second Warmoth and was finished in April 2008. It started as a showcase body and evolved into the guitar you are watching in the pics. Exceptional for cleans and versatile for blues, jazz and rock sounds.

Body is Burl Mahogany with Mahogany back, natural gloss finish.
Neck is VM construction Goncalo Alves - Pau Ferro, SS6105 frets.
 
G

guitlouie

Guest
Figgin sweet!  I always thought you were holding out on us Kostas.
 

Unwound G

Senior member
Messages
835
Looks nice.  Bet it sounds equally good.  A Tele bridge pup and P90 neck combo is one of the best matches on any guitar.
 

Tempest

Senior member
Messages
770
Wow that's a really sweet mahogany top.  Don't think I've ever seen a burled piece of mahogany.   

What pups do you have in it?

Edit: Never mind I looked at your signature  :doh:
 

Kostas

Senior member
Messages
1,381
Tempest said:
Wow that's a really sweet mahogany top.  Don't think I've ever seen a burled piece of mahogany.   
A couple weeks before I bought this body there was a similar '72 Thinline body in the showcase but I didn't want a guitar with humbuckers. I was watchin' it everyday and then this body came up and bought it quickly, I'm glad I did :icon_smile: Since that day I haven't seen another burl mahogany top.


Marko said:
hmm so you don't have a thinline yet??  :icon_biggrin:
Everybody should try a Thinline or a hollow body. They are resonant and responsive to the players hand. With a good shielding and good pickups you don't have to be afraid of feedback. The bridge pickup I put has the highest output of Lollars tele pickups. Jason suggested to wound the P90 -5% from his stock neck pickup to match better the tele pickup in output and that's what I ordered. These pickups can do most things, country, jazz, rock, hard rock.
 

Vol. Knob

Senior member
Messages
601
Kostas said:
Everybody should try a Thinline or a hollow body. They are resonant and responsive to the players hand. With a good shielding and good pickups you don't have to be afraid of feedback. The bridge pickup I put has the highest output of Lollars tele pickups. Jason suggested to wound the P90 -5% from his stock neck pickup to match better the tele pickup in output and that's what I ordered. These pickups can do most things, country, jazz, rock, hard rock.

I disagree.  Everyone should have two.



I like your walnut Thinline.  How do you like the Goncalo Alves neck?  Each of mine have Goncalo as well.
3241691061_8ed7c7ca76.jpg
 

DangerousR6

Senior member
Messages
15,464
Vol. Knob said:
Kostas said:
Everybody should try a Thinline or a hollow body. They are resonant and responsive to the players hand. With a good shielding and good pickups you don't have to be afraid of feedback. The bridge pickup I put has the highest output of Lollars tele pickups. Jason suggested to wound the P90 -5% from his stock neck pickup to match better the tele pickup in output and that's what I ordered. These pickups can do most things, country, jazz, rock, hard rock.

I disagree.  Everyone should have two.
I do...... But one has no F holes....:guitarplayer2:
 

Kostas

Senior member
Messages
1,381
A few changes in my Thinline. It has been the guitar I played less, it will change now...

Old circuit: TBX tone & 500k volume controls, 4-way switch
New circuit: 500k tone & volume controls, 3-way switch, RS by Jensen .022 cap

Old bridge pickup: Lollar Special T
New bridge pickup: TV Jones Classic Plus

Old bridge: Gotoh Tele
New bridge: Savalas (probably Gotoh)

Old strings: Elixir 10 - 46 strings
New strings: DR 10 - 46 strings

Onyx guitar kit in place of the wood screws.

The sound is balanced now. With the tele pickup I had to adjust the highs in the TBX, it was too trebly with the TBX all the way up. The P90 on the other hand needed highs to stay clear. My first thought was to change only the circuit with resistors and a tone control so the tele pickup would see 250k and the P90 would see 500k when it was selected. Everything changed on August when I watched the "Crazy Heart" movie with Jeff Bridges. I always wanted a Gretch guitar but they are expensive and they have thin necks. I was so determined to have a guitar with TV Jones pickups I even considered of ordering a new guitar but quickly I came back to reality so I decided to change more than I had thought in my Thinline. Being hollow is closer to Gretch from all my other guitars.

From the beginning my first choice was the Classic Plus because I wanted to stay on a vintage style pickup to match the P90. I was sold on the Classic Plus when I watched the Ibanez video in the TV site and realized the pickup can do much more than vintage sounds.

Now that I have played the guitar I see that both pickups sound great together and they are very versatile. TV Jones are HB's but more clear and tighter. The P90's are the coolest pickups. Great cleans (almost Fender) and ideal pickups for jazz & classic rock sounds. P90's can do great any type of music except metal, TV Jones can do even metal! A big effect on sound was the change from Elixir to DR strings. I use DR string exclusively for more than ten years. When I made the Thinline I tried the Elixirs to see if they last longer. They do last longer but they are dull & lifeless, they are the worst strings I have tried. I should have changed them a long time ago but I wasn't satisfied with the pickups and it took me three years to decide...
Finally a fret dress from my luthier lowered the strings and the action is where I want it. It plays & sounds great :icon_thumright:

img0905g.jpg

img0904g.jpg

 
P

ptirman

Guest
Gorgeous! I didn't know Mahogany came in a burl  wow :blob7:
 

Kostas

Senior member
Messages
1,381
dNA said:
whoa! that thing is beautiful! What kind of wood is that top?

Burl mahogany and looks better in person. Front, back and sides in this body are beautiful, you can see them in the first page.
 

dNA

Senior member
Messages
1,281
oh. i don't know how i completely overlooked the first page of this thread. my bad! I'm always the guy asking silly questions.  :toothy11:

seriously though, one of my favorite builds i've seen. Nice use of the brown torty! Makes me want to imagine a rosewood or pau ferro pickguard. i love earth tones. and i don't even mind the gloss finish.

your not in the pacific northwest are you? I want to PLAY that thing!
 
Top