Thinking about starting a project..

Mr. Crabs

Hi, I'm new here and i have always known of Warmoth but i just recently thought of starting a project. I was just wondering how all the Warmoth guitars many of you have made are compared to other high end guitars of other companies, as i would end up spending near 2k for my project. I have heard a custom Warmoth is just as good as any USA guitar so i would just like to have some opinions from those of you who have made some. thanx alot!  :eek:ccasion14:

Everybody here agree that the Warmoths are very usually better than Fender, Gibson and most USA made guitars... so go ahead...

Alright that's what i thought heh  :) I'm not a big fan of bolt on guitars, but how is the fret reach with most custom Warmoths? I will try to order everything in a few weeks when and if i get the money.  :headbang:

Fret reach depends on what you're building; same as it ever was for a Strat/Tele type neck/cutaways; better than that with a contoured heel.

If you're talking about 24 fret, I'd think twice unless it is a V you are building.  It looks like 22 fret will work just fine; I'm waiting on my 22 fret neck to arrive for my Strat project.

I've got the body and it feels very quality.

Quality in general is top notch and most here think glued necks are no better than bolt-ons. I mean you can't compare side by side unless you buy, for example, a warmoth LP and a real les paul. People here have done that and swear they have the same or better sustain in the bolt on. You can't say "I prefer glued necks because I like Les Pauls more than strats" - there are too many other differences there.
BUT, the difference is that the final products' quality depends on you - you've got to take care in the building and solve the little inevitable issues that will come up with a unique, handbuilt guitar. Every warmoth part I've gotten so far has been pretty awesome.

Mr. Crabs said:
I have heard a custom Warmoth is just as good as any USA guitar so i would just like to have some opinions from those of you who have made some

Welcome to the boards!

The Warmoth are as good and even better than "USA" guitars. In fact they are USA guitars! You will find that you get what you pay for if not more. With custom contours, finishes, woods, builds (hollow, thinline...) and so on, there just is no substitute for having something that is made for you and possibly by you. You won't get any of that off the shelf. Anyway, not to worry about spending your hard earned dugetts. At around the 2K mark you will have one super fine guitar for the ages!

Cheers!

-TT-

+ 1 to all that has been said here, with particular agreement being made with Tfarnys statement that a lot of this will be up to you.  Of the few complaints I have borne witness to, many could probably be attibuted to user error, or builder error.  For two grand you will receive some really spectacular parts from a company with what I consider great attention to detail, the rest is up to you.  I have two of the best guitars I have ever played in my posession now, and my price tag was closer to 1200 each. 

My first Warmoth cost about $1200 and it's just top quality.  The most expensive Gibsons and Fenders at Guitar Center don't even come close. 

Edit: Okay, that's not fair, especially to Fender... the do come close.  But I prefer my Warmoth.  AND it was cheaper.  :)

I agree with what has been said.  I will also add that Warmoth allows you to use woods that the bigger companies will not.  Korina, Goncalo Alves,  and Wenge are favorites around here because they perform well and sound good.  I think that after a certain torque on the screws on a bolt on the difference in sustain is probably more up to what wood the neck is built out of, not the joint.  The contoured heels look spiffy and everyone around here seems to really like them for playability.  In general, you can get a very high quality instrument, for a lot less, that is spec'd to your taste from Warmoth.
Patrick

My best Warmoth cost around $1100, and includes all-rosewood neck, piezo bridge, looks amazing. I think sustain is more a product of neck thickness, wood quality, and bridge type than bolt-on vs. glue-in. I mean, why believe that glue is stronger than bolts?
May I also suggest that you think about taking on a lower-end build for your first project - you can put together an awesome strat, tele, or bass for about $700, if you go for straightforward woods and few options, that will at least equal a Fender deluxe USA model. You'll gain experience and an awesome guitar for the price of an import. You might learn a lot which will help you when you finally do your $2000 dream guitar.

Thanx alot for the responses! I've been looking at the gallery and I really want to start this thing soon. About the price... 1200$ sounds great, i really can't wait to start my project. I just need to wait for the money now!  :headbang:

Back