Thicker Strings

Torment Leaves Scars

I'm always playing with tone, looking for a deeper, darker, "Metal" tone.  I started out using .009-.042 gauge strings, then upgraded to a hybrid set of .009-.046.  I'm wanting to play with my tone again and go even deeper.  I want something where I can do bends fairly easily, especially for soloing, but I want a really dark "rhythm tone." 

I have a Wizard neck on my guitar so it's a very thin neck, plus a Schaller Floyd floating tremolo.  If I swapped my strings and used hybrids from a .011 set for the low E, A, D and upgraded to strings from a .010 gauge set for my high G, B, and E, would I achieve much or would I be wasting my money and time?  Also, is it possible to run .011s on the low E, A, and D and run the .009s on the high G, B, and E, or would I cause damage?

I don't see how it could cause damage. If you mean from imbalance, many manufacturers offer 10-52 sets. If you mean from tension, I can't see how a neck would break using such strings, even a thin Wizard.

Using thicker strings on the treble side should not be a problem for bending & soloing, you just have to get used to it. I can do two full steps bends with 10-46 strings with no problem, I bet it's fairly common. It's just a matter of habit & practise.

croquet hoop said:
I don't see how it could cause damage. If you mean from imbalance, many manufacturers offer 10-52 sets. If you mean from tension, I can't see how a neck would break using such strings, even a thin Wizard.

Using thicker strings on the treble side should not be a problem for bending & soloing, you just have to get used to it. I can do two full steps bends with 10-46 strings with no problem, I bet it's fairly common. It's just a matter of habit & practise.

Yeah, I was worried about it doing damage with the additional tension from the "imbalance" between such thick strings on one side of the fretboard and such thin ones on the other.

I used to use 9's and 10's like you and always kept looking for a bigger, thicker tone; when I finally switched to Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's that was it. Sure they're 11-54 gauge, but I guarantee that thicker strings = thicker tone.

also, you could try Ernie Ball's skinny top/heavy bottom set, I've used those as well.

(and if you're worrying about if the 11's will be too thick to bend, play, etc. just PLAY HARDER! lol!)

:eek:ccasion14: :headbang:

Agreed that bigger strings make you sound different.

It may be that the greater mass of the string vibrating in the pickup field is the sole culprit, but I find I also modify my technique when I play on thicker strings, and that might be part or all of it, too.

I've had good luck with GHS Boomers starting at .011, but I'm also kind of a string whore on  my electrics - I'll use whatever's at hand and reasonably priced.

I've been playing on Wizard necks for nearly 25 years, with everything from .009's, .010's, and .011's. 

Unless you're traveling between extreme climate shifts on an unfinished neck, and the guitar is set up properly, you should have no issues.

Daze of October said:
I'm always playing with tone, looking for a deeper, darker, "Metal" tone.  I started out using .009-.042 gauge strings, then upgraded to a hybrid set of .009-.046.  I'm wanting to play with my tone again and go even deeper.  I want something where I can do bends fairly easily, especially for soloing, but I want a really dark "rhythm tone." 

Recognize these guys?

zz-top.jpg

Definitely not known for doing anything wimpy. They define the "Power Rock Trio". Yet, Mr. Gibbons plays .007-.038s on nearly all his guitars except one he has set up for slide, which he bulks up to a set of 8s.

If you're interested, here's a Gear Rundown

I had been using DR "Pure Blues" and liked the "bite" I got with them but have decided since I want something darker.  When I went to order some more DRs they weren't available so I decided to get a few sets of Ernie Ball Cobalts.  To say the least, I absolutely HATE them.  They feel like barbed wire and I just don't think they do a good job of projecting tone with hammer-ons and pull-offs, they just seem to go dead quick, IMO.  Strumming is another story, I think they sound great with power chords and rhythm playing.

I'm always willing to try new strings, so I guess I'll just have to experiment, but I have a good feeling I'll be running back to DR for the next round.  :eek:ccasion14:

Custom lights are 9-10 hybrids (9's for the smaller strings, 10's for the wrapped strings) , and light top heavy bottom are 10-11 hybrids.  Dean Markley's have had these for decades, I like them and have been using them for a long time.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
Custom lights are 9-10 hybrids (9's for the smaller strings, 10's for the wrapped strings) , and light top heavy bottom are 10-11 hybrids.  Dean Markley's have had these for decades, I like them and have been using them for a long time.
Patrick

I used to swear by Markleys back when I started playing in the late 80s, then I quit altogether for a good 10+ years.  I went back to them and just didn't seem to care for them.  I'm not sure if DM changed their "formula" or I just didn't like them this time around.  :tard:  I'm willing to give anything a shot, though, especially since they're in a gauge I've never tried before with any brand.

I love the Ernie Ball 10-52, light top / heavy bottom strings.  Been using them for years.

Play what brand suits ya, the naming "Custom Light" and "Light Top Heavy Bottom" was the point I wanted to push.  There are hybrid sets available and those are their names, or close to them.
Patrick

I've been playing all over the board lately. I went from 10's to 12 then 13 for more stable pitch when I hammer double stops over barred chords.  And I liked it. Then I started thinking about the long lean and tight "baritone" and decided I could experiment with my existing neck by string down and tuning up. And I liked it too. There's different tonalities, but hey - I  like guitar. I liked the meatiness of the 13's. I liked the clarity of voicings involving thirds in low registers with 10's tuned up F# - to G. I liked the crisp voicings and zing it has.  I'd try it with 8's or 9's but I don't want to give an entire fourth off the guitars bottom end. I guess I can live with it for an experiment.

thebutcher85 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfCq1DnF378

Thanks for the link!

swarfrat said:
I've been playing all over the board lately. I went from 10's to 12 then 13 for more stable pitch when I hammer double stops over barred chords.  And I liked it. Then I started thinking about the long lean and tight "baritone" and decided I could experiment with my existing neck by string down and tuning up. And I liked it too. There's different tonalities, but hey - I  like guitar. I liked the meatiness of the 13's. I liked the clarity of voicings involving thirds in low registers with 10's tuned up F# - to G. I liked the crisp voicings and zing it has.  I'd try it with 8's or 9's but I don't want to give an entire fourth off the guitars bottom end. I guess I can live with it for an experiment.

I'd love to own a baritone guitar.

Well, everyone, I did it.  I went ahead and put on the .011s and so far, so good.  I guess the biggest thing is that I'm not finding it as easy to do hammer-ons as I thought it would be.  I figured since the strings were thicker I could get a more pronounced hammer-on...or maybe it's just as pronounced as before and I'm just hearing/not hearing things.

Another option is big strings tuned low. GHS even makes a set called GB-LOW that thrives on D tuning, and it's not just a metal thing - Ted Greene played that way all the time. I do have to say - a Wizard w/Floyd is exactly the opposite of what I would do for equipment to generate meat, it ain't the bending you have to think about, it's the lack of "ass", as it's often called. Get a nice hardtail boatneck, and then your pickup, amp & speaker choices will have more substantial frequencies to sample from. Speakers are really important - something like a Celestion Greenback or Classic is designed to start distorting as soon as it is fed loud low tones, and if you kick up to a speaker with a higher power rating it can spit bigger goobers, so to speak.

Play bass? :cool01:

Back