The Wilkinson Wobble

Patrick from Davis said:
There are several ways to make the nut hold tight.  Glues, lock washers and so on.  On the glues, I tend to like super glue (cyanoacrylate) because a little fingernail polish remover (acetone) will dissolve it very quickly.  If you know a science geek, a 200uL disposable pipet tip (generally the yellow ones are this volume) will give the superglue bottle a very fine disposable tip.  Gel loader tips are even better.  I generally have to glue the screws on my glasses this way to keep them from slowly falling apart at the worst possible time.  I would also look into a better metal than brass for a new nut on he bridge, no offense to any one, but brass sucks as far as durability for a nut.  Go Stainless.

Out of curiosity, where do you find the pop in Floyd units?  I have another guitar I might want t use this option on.
Patrick

We use Locktite to keep nuts tight on motorcycles.

It's bad to be riding down the road 70 mph and have your nuts fall off.

This really deters me from ever buying a Wilkinson.  First off I don't like the satin finishes.  I've played a few wilkinsons and thought they were alright, but never really liked them better than my Hipshot trem.  I think the Hipshot feels better on my hand.

I have actually repaired a few Wilkys with that problem. I remove the nut and clean the thread lock off. Then I go to home depot and buy a plumbing nut that is about 1/4 in long  and install it with threadlock. NEVER NEVER NEVER had one come back. Adds more mass too!

This posting was a great resource for investigating the potential source of wobble in the Wilkinson Gotoh trem arm.

However my trem arm wobble was not due to the nut assembly, rather it was the arm to anchor screw interface. I was able to resolve the looseness/wobble condition with the application of LOCTITE 222MS applied to the arm threads.

Wow, this is an old thread. It looks like Erik did not post his next video.

So in the interests of anyone coming across this thread, this is what he did.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lObGKM1c6ps[/youtube]

Back