The wait is over

JPOL007

Was it worth waiting 8 weeks for my roasted flame maple on flame maple neck? Heck yes!!! I can’t capture the depth of the flame well enough to show how fantastic this neck looks. Move the neck and the flames just shimmer everywhere. I’m not sure if this is normal for these necks, but this one is awesome.
Warhead headstock
Blk TUSQ nut
3100 SS Frets
Gibson Conversion Scale Length
10 / 16 Radius
Standard Thin Profile
22 Frets

Attachments

• DSC_0046 copy.jpg
    DSC_0046 copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0043 copy.jpg
    DSC_0043 copy.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_0047 - 2 copy.jpg
    DSC_0047 - 2 copy.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 225
Beautiful! I have a roasted flame maple neck coming sometime in the near future, and I hope it looks similar to that! That’s fantastic!

ChrisMC said:
Beautiful! I have a roasted flame maple neck coming sometime in the near future, and I hope it looks similar to that! That’s fantastic!
Thanks, I'm thinking a little pure Tung oil would really bring out the grain. Hope your neck is just as sweet or sweeter than mine. :eek:ccasion14:

I’ve only ever used it straight. Not sure I buy into the reasoning for thinning the first coat, personally. One coat will pop the figure but keep it pretty satin, the more you do the more gloss it gets

I plan to do nothing with mine (as far as applying any finish). The oils in my skin will eventually darken it up, and where I play the most will be darker than the rest, so that should be just fine.

Just put the 4th or 5th coat on my plain old regular grade flame maple neck. Pictures never really do justice, you can’t see how it dances as it moves.

I’ve found it’s best not to leave it on thick, it just goes sort of gummy. I wipe a fairly generous amount on so I can spread it everywhere, then immediately wipe the excess off with kitchen paper. If it’s on thin you can apply a couple of coats a day usually.

EABB41-B6-0-BCB-444-D-83-F9-4-BFBC4-ED3-D9-E.jpg

ChrisMC said:
I plan to do nothing with mine (as far as applying any finish). The oils in my skin will eventually darken it up, and where I play the most will be darker than the rest, so that should be just fine.
I fear the oils in my skin. They could be used to relic guitar hardware :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

ChrisMC said:

I'm noticing the ones people are receiving right now are from this darker batch of wood it seems, a touch darker than mine. I wonder if we're seeing each individual kiln-batch coming through? If so it's likely yours will be of this same wood given the timeframes.

BeagJon said:
I'm noticing the ones people are receiving right now are from this darker batch of wood it seems, a touch darker than mine. I wonder if we're seeing each individual kiln-batch coming through? If so it's likely yours will be of this same wood given the timeframes.

As long as whatever they built for me has at least ‘some’ nice flamey flames, I’ll love it. Mine has an ebony board with Arizona turquoise dots, so it should be an interesting look.

They have seemed pretty dark as of late - they look really nice. The flame in OP's neck is just wild - you'll mistake them for frets while playing!  :laughing3:

More crazy-incredible work from Warmoth. I can't imagine going back to a regular off-the-rack guitar after seeing the work they do.

I just got my (roasted) flame maple neck a few weeks ago and I went the burnishing route: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19901.0

It feels like glass and considerably less friction then the nitro that I had sprayed on the headstock, even though that is smooth by itself.
It's worth the effort if you have some hours and elbow grease to spare, and also a finish you will not find on commercial guitars because of the labour involved.
It can only be done on woods that don't require a finish though, so raw maple is a no-no.

Back