The Strat remodel begins

Since I really didn't spend much time with this guitar before it was taken apart for remodeling I never noticed that the neck pocket is at different depths going from treble to bass side :icon_scratch:

Has anyone else with a MIM strat had this issue?? I noticed it once I had it all back together and doing the setup. I took the strings off and removed the neck, took some measurement and sure enough the neck pocket is 1/16" deeper on the treble side. So I guess I'll have to make a neck routing jig, set the depth on the treble side and rout out the rest of the pocket to match. My other MIM and MIA don't have this issue.

Since the MIM bridge plates just have a hole with sharp edges where the string breaks on it's way to the saddle I counter sunk all the holes and polished the sharp edges with a dremel. My MIA strat bridge already had this done at the factory....takes like 10 minutes, don't understand why they dont do this with all the bridges.

How petty an OEM is willing to be when building a product is a constant source of amazement to me.

I just don't get the whole neck pocket thang.....I used my caliper to check the neck thickness and it's right on. AND I noticed after I had it all together and strung up ready to play that the 5th and 6th string seemed a little closer than it should be...so I grabbed my nut string spacing ruler and sure enough...it's off too. guess I'll be making a new nut for this guitar too.

Also, don't forget when you lower that neck pocket floor, your fretboard overhang might not leave enough clearance to fit the pickguard under. You'll have to cut the 'guard so the 'board doesn't hit it. I've got that problem on my Mahogany Strat for the same reason.

well luckily this strat doesn't have the overhang. I thought about shimming the treble side until I can get around to routing it out.

hard to get the right lighting for this finish. not great photos but they were taken with my phone.

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 34
  • sldkfjlk.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 26
My MIM neck pocket is level.
When I had the original neck I had room to store a pick on either side of the pocket. The W neck is perfectly snug and doesn't allow ancillary storage.

hey the ebony finish looks nice!  stronger classic look than poly! thanks for posting, im confident ill like doing the same finish technique now. probably with gloss nitro over it.

I ended up taking the neck back off to fix the uneven neck pocket...routed it out and sits nice and even now. Still didn't know how that was possible. I used calipers on the front of the neck pocket and it was right on on both the treble and bass sides. It looked as if it was higher on the bass side closest to the body. :icon_scratch:

Now to fix my nut problem :laughing7:

changed back to the white pickguard....for now. After leveling the neck pocket it plays great, pretty happy :party07:

Attachments

• strat 043.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 10
Back