The Sky is Crying....

DangerousR6

Mythical Status
The day the blues lost perhaps the greatest blues guitarist of all time....8-27-1990
th

Let people catch up! I'm a big fan. Anything from "Live at the El Mocambo" is worth watching repeatedly.

[youtube]JoB_YBXXEOU[/youtube]​

DangerousR6 said:
Wow, no love for SRV, must say, I'm disappointed... :sad1:

Lotsa love from me. In my book SRV was one of the last to do anything interesting and influential to the blues genre.

Sadly I've become much to used to hear about great musicians who leaves this earth too soon.  :(

Truly one of the best.  This one just blows be away.  Rocking the 12 and he can sing too!
[youtube]SfiQtHdC71o[/youtube]

I recall being 16 in the summer of 1983 and going over to my neighbor Bob's house where he and another friend (Kevin)were hanging out telling me I have to hear something.
At the time, we had already called this the "do nothing summer", I hadn't started my first part time job yet so we spent most of our time doing nothing but listening to music.
We were fairly dedicated blues fans at the time--although our scope of reference was mostly rock blues. Kevin was a Clapton fan, I was a Jimmy Page nut.
That summer you could scan the radio and not a minute would go by where "Every Breath You Take" would not be on somewhere--sometimes two or three stations at a time.
I was a Police fan, but that song was making me sick, and other than the Police and Rush, there was very little as far as new music that caught my fancy at all.
At the time I detested Van Halen (and still never acquired a taste for them), and preferred old Sabbath to Ozzy. I knew a ton of metalheads, and could tolerate metal, liked some of it quite a bit, but was never passionate about it.

When Bob played the song in question "Pride and Joy" (I think taped off the radio) both he and Kevin anticipated my response which was one of being dumbstruck. It was as if a lightbulb had gone off. The 80s would NOT be completely dominated by shit!
I also remember a couple months later when Stevie would be on some TV awards show. Of course I was disappointed that he would be playing a supporting role behind George Thorogood--oy vey..

Seamas said:
I also remember a couple months later when Stevie would be on some TV awards show. Of course I was disappointed that he would be playing a supporting role behind George Thorogood--oy vey..

I remember that show - it was the Grammys, and SRV and Thorogood were presented as the new blood that would take over rock'n'roll, which was in a way true - Thorogood, whether you particularly like him or not, really did a lot to keep raunchy, gut-bucket swaggering rock'n'roll alive during the 1980's, while the Stones, its former standard-bearers, were beginning their long descent into semi-relevance.  I recall that the performance didn't really showcase Stevie Ray well.  But one cannot deny the influence SRV has had on the subsequent generations of guitar players.  Like Page and Clapton and Van Halen before him, even if his thing was not really your thing, you still had to operate in an environment in which his influence is pervasive.

As I recall, that same show had Christopher Parkening accepting a lifetime achievement award on behalf of Andres Segovia, who couldn't make it because he was booked elsewhere.  And given Segovia's thoughts on modern music, he probably would have preferred not to go even if his calendar were open.

That same year was the year Wynton Marsalis broke really big and took home awards for both jazz and classical recordings.

I remember the night I learned SRV had been killed in the helo crash.  I went out with my girlfriend to a blues jam that had sprung up at a local restaurant in Vegas and it was, as one might expect, a truly f*cked up vibe.  Everyone was there to help each other cope with the bad news, and there was a lot of tremendous playing, but weird stuff kept happening.  One guitarist's whammy bar broke off in his hand, another guy's amp caught fire, it was insane.  After that I went home, put "Lenny" on, and my girlfriend and I had a good, quiet cry.

PJ Potamus said:
Still one of my favorite clips to watch...
[youtube]https://youtu.be/JIFdMbhCa94[/youtube]

Smooth as an Indy 500 pit stop!

Love how the crowd reacts as the switch is happening...they know what they are seeing is true pro-level stuff, on the part of both SRV and the tech.

Cagey said:
Let people catch up! I'm a big fan. Anything from "Live at the El Mocambo" is worth watching repeatedly.

El Macambo should be required watching before you can even apply for a license to own a guitar.

SustainerPlayer said:
DangerousR6 said:

Lotsa love from me. In my book SRV was one of the last to do anything interesting and influential to the blues genre.

Sadly I've become much to used to hear about great musicians who leaves this earth too soon.  :(
Well, he has been gone near 30yrs...

The Aaron said:
Cagey said:

El Macambo should be required watching before you can even apply for a license to own a guitar.
:icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
SustainerPlayer said:
DangerousR6 said:

Well,to be fair, KWS is pretty badass, especially his early stuff...by I digress, SRV has been gone near 30yrs...I was just merely acknowledging the anny...

DMRACO said:
Truly one of the best.  This one just blows be away.  Rocking the 12 and he can sing too!
[youtube]SfiQtHdC71o[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihoudTTcWp4[/youtube]

The Aaron said:
PJ Potamus said:
Still one of my favorite clips to watch...
[youtube]https://youtu.be/JIFdMbhCa94[/youtube]

Smooth as an Indy 500 pit stop!

Love how the crowd reacts as the switch is happening...they know what they are seeing is true pro-level stuff, on the part of both SRV and the tech.

Not to mention seeing a guy who can snap those industrial cables Stevie used for strings.

Back