The Sims Custom Shop Challenge - (P)review

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whyachi

This is a fun game I invented. You pre-pay for a paint job, then mail your body to Patrick Sims in Nashville, TN. Then, you wait 8-10 weeks, and try to get it back. Its super fun.

[/sarcasm][objective write up]

In December when I was first gassing up for my P bass, I picked a paint job and contacted several shops. I wanted an exact match for EBMM's Lava Pearl. Tonar was my first choice but he doesn't do pearl jobs, so he pointed me to another shop, which wanted $450. About this time I found out about Sims since he posts some custom paint jobs on the forum from time to time. The paint jobs he posted here and on his website were amazing, plus he quoted me $295 - paid in advance - and 8 to 10 weeks. I pre-paid happily since it was an unusual color request and he needed a few weeks to order the paints. Payment was sent on 12/19/09, after I read a few reviews on his website and saw a few vague, "Yeah Sims does great work," posts on here and Talkbass.

Prior to sending the body to him, communication was on par with Nordstrand pickups. I could email this guy a question and hear back in a few hours and he was very patient while we worked out exactly what I wanted done to my bass. I literally emailed him at 3AM once and got a response in less than an hour. Pretty impressed so far.

I mailed him the body on 1/15 - had to allow time for Warmoth to actually make the thing - and UPS says he received it 1/18. Communication stopped. I emailed him once that week and once the next, to which he responded finally that he was working and it hadn't been long enough. Essentially, "Stop bothering me."

I waited seven weeks then emailed him again asking for a ballpark ETA, and heard nothing. At eight weeks I started looking for a phone number but also found nothing, so I emailed him again at week nine. During #11 he responds that he had lost all of his emails "weeks ago," and asked what kind of body I sent him and what paint job I had wanted done. He did mention he had my address and name, so even if he lost my phone number and email address, he could have dropped a post card any time and let me know to contact him. Or, he knows I'm on this forum and could have reached me here.

Now I'm back in another communication black hole. I responded with what I had ordered and said that if he hadn't started yet, I wanted my body and money back. No response. Paypal won't let me dispute the charges since they're over 45 days old, and I paid with a debit card instead of credit so I can't get my CC company to go after him. About this time, our intrepid young Max pointed these out to me:

http://simswarning.com/
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-and-group-buys/100196-sims-custom-shop-a-warning.html

There are many more where those came from, people saying it took a year and a half to get their parts back or had to get lawyers or whatever. I am still attempting to get my body and at least part of my money back from Patrick Sims before I go this route, as I really don't have the time or money to get involved in small claims court.

Sharing this for your consideration before you buy from him.

Wow, from the work he shows on his website he seems to be doing an awesome job, I guess he's also hiding a lot of stuff...

Hope you get your stuff back

ORCRiST said:
F-me. I JUST sent my body to him last Monday - and paid up-front.

I got a bad feeling about this now...  :sad:

Run before he start on it... showing up on the shop usually is better than calling, in weird situations...

NonsenseTele said:
ORCRiST said:
F-me. I JUST sent my body to him last Monday - and paid up-front.

I got a bad feeling about this now...  :sad:

Run before he start on it... showing up on the shop usually is better than calling, in weird situations...

Road trip!  :headbang:

Seriously though, that is very not cool. From the sound of things, this Sims guy is real scam artist, so I hope everything works out for the best for both of you guys! If not, I know this guy named Tiny...  :laughing7:

wow... I just read all of those links.. that ol' boy is just covered with Hate.

Best of luck man.. seriously. I'll be in on the road trip if we all are gonna take a trip up there  :headbang:

So we're all going on a road trip to sort this guy out  :laughing7:

It might cost me a bit to get over there though...  :tard:

Sorry to hear about your problem dude, not cool at all  :-\

This SUCKS! I never would have thought he'd treat you like this, given the niceness he portrayed here. On the other hand, maybe it was just bait..
Find out where the shop is...road trip and reclaim! It's pretty odd not to reply at all, very unprofessional.

I've had an issue or 2 with the W recently, but damn, they are quick to reply, and W is a much bigger company than just one guy paintin'...
Time to get your money and your guitar back.

Oh, yeah, file a complaint with the BBB too. It's getting to the point where it just sounds like theft!  :evil4: Gimme a call or an e-mail or something, but NOTHING?!?!
"That is not right, Michael."

ORCRiST said:
A road trip to visit his shop personally would be 16 hours, almost 1000 miles, and about $200 in gas. I still wouldnt get my money back,
and could have Warmoth make me a new body for the cost in gas alone. SOB!

I dunno what to do...

Here in my country is very unnusual to ship something that away to be painted, etc and we don't have much finish workers like you have there, I think you guys should have researched a little before send the parts to be finished...

I'm sorry but I only see troubles in your road guys, but if things are getting out of control I see only hard road is the way to deal with it... lawyers, police, whatever you want...

Hmmm, seems shady.  Keep us updated, and pm me contact info if you don't mind; anything and everything you have.

-Mark

Both SIMS & CHRISTOPHER WOODS each have multi page threads of the same complaints on JEMSITE. The pattern of long waits and poor service/communications is well documented...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/patrick-sims-custom-shop-in-tn-usa-experiences-88423.html

Good luck!

It's a shame you can't simply be enjoying your new instrument;  I'd be super bummed if I were in your shoes.  It kind of seems like this Sims prick comes through with a good product in the end; he just takes his sweet-ass time; and once he gets your money, communication drops off to nothing.  I think you are just going to have to find new reservoirs of patience in your worried mind.  I feel a happy ending coming on this one.  Don't let the c-sucker grind you down.  Channel your anger into another instrument  :guitaristgif:

This is my first Warmoth also, as well as my only instrument at the moment. I had a local music school set up and I've had to call and put off starting several times now.

I've filed a complaint with the BBB already, but his F rating and 11 unanswered claims says he's not too interested in his reputation.

I appreciate the support. Mark, when I get a bit later on lunch break I'll send you what I've got to see if maybe you pick up anything I missed. Max found me his phone number so I'm going to be adding that to my daily routine as well, and I'll forward it to you ORCRiST so you can play too.

Hey guys-

I'm going to lock this thread.  This is valuable information to have when making a potential purchase, but we cannot allow the thread to turn in to a flame fesh or vendor bash.  We wouldn't want to see that happen in a Warmoth thread and it would be proper to extend the same courtesy.

ORC and Knuckle, please let us know how this turns out and we can update the thread with any resolution information.

UPDATE FROM THE OP:

The Better Business Bureau has made contact and given him ten days to resolve the issue. Haven't heard anything from him since before I put the thread up.

UPDATE FROM THE OP:

4/23/2010:
The ten days has past with no response from Sims, making this another unresolved complaint to the BBB. My next step is probably going to be trying to take him to small claims court since the body + paint came up to exactly $500. I'll keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back