The Red Rat

willyk

don't ask, I don't know why it's called that :icon_scratch:

2743715112_2d2d90c384.jpg
2743713032_3ef24e730f.jpg
2742875961_5c8619875c.jpg
This is after 3 thin applications of Danish oil leaving 24 hours  between each coat.

thats awesome willy, another tele lay out?.
is it a mahogany top?

>JR< said:
is it a mahogany top?

Padouk on walnut. It does look a bit Tele-fied at this stage but it won't when it gets a couple more holes poked in it.

willyk said:
>JR< said:
is it a mahogany top?

Padouk on walnut. It does look a bit Tele-fied at this stage but it won't when it gets a couple more holes poked in it.

THought it was going to be LPS Jr. with a switch?

jackthehack said:
willyk said:
>JR< said:
is it a mahogany top?

It is exactly that. I think JR was referring to the position of the control holes all in a line  :dontknow:

willyk said:
jackthehack said:
willyk said:
>JR< said:
is it a mahogany top?

One of my "Fenson" projects I haven't got around to yet is an all mahogany "'59 Tele Jr." with wraparound bridge and single dogear P90

It is exactly that. I think JR was referring to the position of the control holes all in a line  :dontknow:

That sounds like a plan Jack. Are you gonna rear route it and go "minimalistic"? I rather like top routed teles with no pickguard just the control plate on its own. It wouldn't work with a single pickup though, unless you "Esquired" it for the selector switch :glasses9: :cool01:

Nope, rear route, minimal like a '59 LPS Jr., but a Tele body shape. Can't ever make up my mind if it should be the original trans red, TV yellow or Butterscotch Blonde

jackthehack said:
Nope, rear route, minimal like a '59 LPS Jr., but a Tele body shape. Can't ever make up my mind if it should be the original trans red, TV yellow or Butterscotch Blonde

Trans red if you're asking.. :headbang1:

The tele's a couple of years old soon. I took the shot to see if the color had changed.. :icon_jokercolor:​

2751944935_35d3d5d316.jpg

For whatever reason - slightly darker, but gorgeous ('sides being backwards) just the same......another nice piece  :icon_biggrin:

willyk said:
jackthehack said:

Trans red if you're asking.. :headbang1:

`That was my original thought, actually, may test Butterscotch Blonde first when I do it, have never seen that on a piece of mahogany, might look OK

Ted said:
I like this new build Willy.

Me too Ted. It's starting to look very pretty. Of course we had my Tele as a sound reference as well as the look. All the woods are the same as mine, as is the Pearly Gates neck pickup. The tele has a Custom/custom in the bridge whereas the LPS will have an SD StagMag. My walnut Jazzmaster was his original "I want" guitar but my Canadian buddy beat him to it. So we used a 12" radius board like the Jazzmaster had, and a strat whammy bar as well. Now all I need is the neck. :sad1:

Do you know what you're going to go for?

Wenge? Bubinga?  :icon_scratch:

Abalone inlays of course....  :icon_thumright:

Ted said:
Do you know what you're going to go for?

Wenge? Bubinga?  :icon_scratch:

Abalone inlays of course....  :icon_thumright:

The neck was ordered a couple of weeks ago. It's a padouk std thin with an ebony 'board. 1 11/16" graphite nut, 6130 frets, 12" radius and a Vee headstock. No abalone dots this time Ted  :eek: Oval inlays for this one.

Back