the lightest exotic necks

rockskate4x

so guys... I'm designing a body for a warmoth body blank that has an extra long upper horn, so I'm not terribly worried about neck heaviness but just heaviness in general. What are the lightest no-finish-necessary neck woods?

well, I think they're all kinda the same. stuff like ziricote, pau ferro, bocote, thats really heavy, purpleheart too. I think wenge and padouk are good. bubinga too I suppose.

They refuse to weigh necks for you though :(

Hey Gregg, how about weighing a standard thin pro-construction strat neck in some different common wood combos?  Just so we have a baseline... Maple/IR, maple/maple, wenge/ebony, padouk/ebony, mahogany/ebony, IR/IR some others?

dbw said:

Hey Gregg, how about weighing a standard thin pro-construction strat neck in some different common wood combos?  Just so we have a baseline... Maple/IR, maple/maple, wenge/ebony, padouk/ebony, mahogany/ebony, IR/IR some others?

I doubt they do it. Density even among the same species can vary greatly. No matter what disclaimers they put, someone here would take it as a guarantee and that would just create bad PR.

dbw said:

but maybe if you asked they'd try to help give you an idea what kinds of woods are heavier or lighter - - or you could maybe ask for when you order for a lighter neck of a particular wood. I don't know...

nathana said:
I have heard a few others say that canary is rather light compared to many others.
Of all the exotics I've been privy to fondle, I believe canary is the lightest so far... :headbang:

The weights on exotics are really all over the place. Often there is an 1/4" thick Ebony fingerboard on them which gives the impression that all exotics are heavier than they are. I had a very light weight Palisander 1-pc neck. My Wenge 1-pc is not very heavy. The necks with the tightest density like Ebony and Bubinga are often the heavier ones.

Gregg said:
The weights on exotics are really all over the place. Often there is an 1/4" thick Ebony fingerboard on them which gives the impression that all exotics are heavier than they are. I had a very light weight Palisander 1-pc neck. My Wenge 1-pc is not very heavy. The necks with the tightest density like Ebony and Bubinga are often the heavier ones.
I would imagine so, that the denser grained woods would be heavier. There's most likely many  variables that fit into the weight of the neck. As you said, fretboard wood, also the back contour may have different effects on weight.  Maybe even headstock shapes, types of truss rods, the scale length of the neck... :dontknow:

I noticed for sure that the Vintage Modern necks (VMxxxx) are lighter than the Warmoth Pro necks (SNxxxx) of the same wood because of a lighter truss rod assembly. I assume the total vintage necks might be even lighter, not sure about that.

thephatboi said:
I noticed for sure that the Vintage Modern necks (VMxxxx) are lighter than the Warmoth Pro necks (SNxxxx) of the same wood because of a lighter truss rod assembly. I assume the total vintage necks might be even lighter, not sure about that.
The truss rods are just slightly heavier, but consider once again the fingerboard is thicker on a Pro neck than it is on a Vintage Modern and that is a portion of the weight difference.

Back