The Gold Digger

I couldn't hold it any longer! I had the day to my self today so I spent it working on the build.

I decided to go with satin (sorry Spud). First I knocked down the finish with a light sanding with 0000 steel wool, then I buffed it out with Birchwood Casey stock sheen. I'm very pleased with the result!

Next I went to assembly! It's wired and ready to go when my strings come in tomorrow.

C1IMomD.jpg

Got her strung up and playing yesterday! Man this thing sounds awesome. Great clarity and huge sustain. Tones from jazz to funk to doom!

I'll try to take some better pictures at some point but for now:

Jcz15g6.jpg

pq3Se5Q.jpg

SC8kBqI.jpg

r04dQBR.jpg

NeWzOLh.jpg

Came out great! Two things

1. Is one tuner different than the rest?

2. Did you skin a cheetah to make the pickguard?

Spud said:
Came out great! Two things

1. Is one tuner different than the rest?

Looks like just a quirk of the reflected light to me.

Also, in re: cheetah skins, I'd be okay if this dude were sacrificed for pickguards, but you wouldn't get many from this scrawny specimen:

220px-Chester_Cheetah.png

Haha thanks guys! No cheetahs were harmed in the making of this guit. I MIGHT have harmed some kind of funky, celluloid-shelled space tortoise though!  :dontknow:

Tuners are all the same. It would be kind of fun to add one different tuning button though lol!

Here's some more better (a.k.a. "Mo Betta") pics

r13QtAw.jpg

NfaGXJB.jpg

0HYmBl3.jpg

4BUwTRP.jpg

Surf n Music said:
That finish! The pickups! The tunner knobs! Man it all went together so well. Really nice work.

Thanks! I'm really happy with it! It's super funky without being too over the top (to me at least)

Your project has a well matched combination of colors.  It definitely has a vintage / retro style.  The neck is an especially nice piece.

I'm curious what the 3rd control knob is for.  Is that a dual volume control?

I'm also wondering about the route for the bridge pickup.  Normally when a strat body is routed for dual humbuckers they are spaced at 101.5mm between the neck and bridge pickups.  Otherwise for H-S-H, it is 51.2mm from bridge to middle, and 50.3mm from middle to neck.  I wonder if Warmoth place the bridge pickup in the same location when you order a "Tele humbucker" bridge route.

JohnnyHardtail said:
Your project has a well matched combination of colors.  It definitely has a vintage / retro style.  The neck is an especially nice piece.

I'm curious what the 3rd control knob is for.  Is that a dual volume control?

Thanks! Third knob is a bass cut like on certain G&L and Reverend guitars. I have one on several builds now and find it quite useful.

Six months later…

This guitar feels and plays great, but it’s not quite giving me the sounds that I want. As much as I love Supro goldfoils, I’m missing the “grunt” that you get with P90s and humbuckers, especially in the bridge.

So today I snagged a good deal on a pair of Zhangbucker p.a.f.s! They’re double parchment/aged white and I think I’ll be switching to a black pickguard

Six months later…

This guitar feels and plays great, but it’s not quite giving me the sounds that I want. As much as I love Supro goldfoils, I’m missing the “grunt” that you get with P90s and humbuckers, especially in the bridge.

So today I snagged a good deal on a pair of Zhangbucker p.a.f.s! They’re double parchment/aged white and I think I’ll be switching to a black pickguard
Dammit Raga I was just getting used the the way it was!

well ok I guess you can do what you want to your own guitar 😁

You’ll love those Zhangbuckers. Dave does a good wind. For HB I have an O Bucker and Pagey 2. For SC, I have 2 tapped Tele PAul Bunyan’s . The second set he every wound tapped.

And his Splat option is great.

You’ll love those Zhangbuckers. Dave does a good wind. For HB I have an O Bucker and Pagey 2. For SC, I have 2 tapped Tele PAul Bunyan’s . The second set he every wound tapped.

And his Splat option is great.
Great to hear! The ones I bought are a "pure handwound" Pagey 2 set with alnico IIs. That O bucker sounds interesting!

Back