The Gold Digger

stratamania said:
TBurst Std said:
It was Pompeii.  When I said last decade , I meant within the last 10 years.

Though you mentioned decades ago, getting the CD/DVD for Christmas, playing at age 18 in a couple of posts. Hence me wondering which DVD you meant.
In that context I said last decade, meaning the last ten years.

But yes, the vid link I posted is what I meant.  Teles can rule

Just had a discussion today with someone who did t realize mr page used a Tele for largely the 1st 2 Zep albums.

TBurst Std said:
Ouch.  3 knobs on a Tele plate.

I have always preferred Tele plates reversed. Figured that out back in 82 with my first Tele.

Wow! That is awesome. You may be the most "in the know" Telecaster master on this board. And you made a Telecaster "your b*itch! I am willing to wager you even showed Danny Gatton a lick or two!

TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:
TBurst Std said:
It was Pompeii.  When I said last decade , I meant within the last 10 years.

Though you mentioned decades ago, getting the CD/DVD for Christmas, playing at age 18 in a couple of posts. Hence me wondering which DVD you meant.
In that context I said last decade, meaning the last ten years.

But yes, the vid link I posted is what I meant.  Teles can rule

Just had a discussion today with someone who did t realize mr page used a Tele for largely the 1st 2 Zep albums.

Tele's can get great tones, and certainly Zeppelin 1 & II as well as the Stairway to Heaven solo are great examples.

Here is where you wrote decades...so it was not clear to the reader.

TBurst Std said:
All I know was I was close to my dad's pay monthly for my playing at age 18. It was a short story due to an injury. I'm just glad that decades later I have been able to perform again publically (free and paid) for the last decade plus.

TBurst Std said:
And I so wish I still had the Tele.  A 69 and I tamed that bitch LOL. Or at least we came to an accord LOL

I am still fascinated with that " b*tich taming "  I am not familiar with that. What exactly does THAT entail?

Today my Bourns pots came in and I wired up the harness! The three pots are a tight fit but I was able to make it work. Not that it's going into the body anytime soon, but at least it feels like progress haha

GPEB7jE.jpg

So I wanted to used a tele chopped/half tele bridge and direct mounted bridge humbucker with threaded inserts like I used on my Albert Lee build.

The builder wouldn't let me configure it that way, so I dropped Warmoth an email and they said just to configure it as close as possible (tele humbucker bridge and "regular" humbucker route) and write a comment on the order.

I emailed last Friday asking if they got my comment/change and Spike nicely said (he's always nice) that they did not get the comment and that the body is already in production and can't be changed, and recommended me the (very reasonable) option of using the FU Tone PMS, or alternatively humbucker base plate screwed to the bottom of the route (which is probably what I'll do).

Not that anyone really did anything wrong, but I'm frustrated to say the least. I'm paying good money for a customized body; I want it to have the specs that I want!

Ok... vent over.  :eek:ccasion14:

TBurst Std said:
Here's a recent fav (last decade) of a Tele (actually an Esquire converted to Tele) rocking. Make sure to listen on FRFR speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3dLKVSs6s

Yeah that's how I remember sounding through that JTM and an OD pedal decades ago
, NOT, but I wish.

I remember when what DVD/CD came out. I got it for Christmas and went on a drive and listened (at loud vol). When it came to that song it was, it can't be a Strat, can't be a P90 LP, only one instrument has that authority, A Tele.

You have to get forward to past the 1st half to get to that point.

Sorry for the late post, but I just have to remark that Chuck Leavell does a great job on the organ solo here.

Woot!

Aksvuix.jpg

JEvL0PS.jpg

IfELOXq.jpg

HwT0gsZ.jpg

I was a little nervous opening the box since you never know what the wood grain will be like, but everything is gorgeous! The ziricote fretboard is particularly nice; I did not order "figured" so I was expecting something much more plane. The ash is very straight-grained, and smells awesome! The canary is nice; not the most vibrant/eye-catching, but that's probably a good thing since there's already a lot of busyness going on with this build.

Super stoked!

Here's the body after the initial application of Tru-oil. It's crazy how much the color of the roasted ash changes!

k2t8mUE.jpg

Man the grain on that ash is awesome, much more consistent than mine. :sad:

Those are two gorgeous frickin parts.  I love my own canary/ebony neck. I think you'll be very pleased to put yours into service. 

I am a little afraid that it might sound lower than a regular telecaster. :toothy12:

This is after the third fairly heavy application of tru oil. I applied it with 600 grit sandpaper this time and lightly sanded as I went, filling the grain some but not all the way. From here on I will be applying a few more thin coats, and then using "stock sheen" to bring the shine back down to satin-y.

kalnKQ5.jpg

Over the past week I applied somewhere around ten thin coats of tru oil. Also worked on cleaning and rounding the fret ends and polishing the frets on the neck. Now I'm going to wait at least a couple days for the tru oil to cure further and then buff it with stock sheen to get more of a satin look.

FQepUQa.jpg

I have decided that I like the look of the tru oil/varnish glossy and prefer you please not knock it down to satin.

Spud said:
I have decided that I like the look of the tru oil/varnish glossy and prefer you please not knock it down to satin.

Hmm, it is quite nice! I'll have to think about it, I've got at least a few days till the strings come in anyway.

ragamuffin said:
Spud said:

Hmm, it is quite nice! I'll have to think about it, I've got at least a few days till the strings come in anyway.
Excellent! Plus you have to take into account that the extra string tension of a baritone may compress or force the finish molecules together a tad resulting in a slightly lessor sheen than it currently displays.

Back