The Gold Digger

Thanks guys!

I finally decided to go with canary/ziricote and a roasted ash body  :eek:ccasion14:

YMXRquK.png

qseSMNz.png

On that note, does anyone know where I could obtain a small piece of roasted ash for finish testing? I think I just want to do a basic oil finish, but I would like to test some things. My local woodworking store doesn't have roasted ash, and looking online doesn't yield many results other than full body blanks.

ragamuffin said:
On that note, does anyone know where I could obtain a small piece of roasted ash for finish testing? I think I just want to do a basic oil finish, but I would like to test some things. My local woodworking store doesn't have roasted ash, and looking online doesn't yield many results other than full body blanks.

I'd expect ash to behave similarly with oil finishes whether roasted or simply dried. Maybe that opens up your  options. Once you have a piece of Ash you could always roast it yourself.

Sadie-f said:
I'd expect ash to behave similarly with oil finishes whether roasted or simply dried. Maybe that opens up your  options. Once you have a piece of Ash you could always roast it yourself.

That's true! Roasted ash just seems to get much darker when a finish is applied. I hadn't thought about trying to roast my own...

Got some cool parts in! Solid brass knobs, switch tip, neck plate, jack socket, and ferrules from Forney Custom on Reverb.

yk2Clzu.jpg

I can't decided if I want to go with the traditional control plate alignment or reversed  :icon_scratch:

Ouch.  3 knobs on a Tele plate.

I have always preferred Tele plates reversed. Figured that out back in 82 with my first Tele.

And I so wish I still had the Tele.  A 69 and I tamed that bitch LOL. Or at least we came to an accord LOL

Off topic: but at that time I was a pro musician. If you needed a certain tone, I had it between my LP, my Floyded and Duncan Dist Melody maker, my es347, my Strat and my Tele

If I had to show up with only one? It was that Tele!

I can remember being a sit in sub guitarist for live gigs and I’d bring that Tele.  Rocked harder than any Strat, would not shy away from a battle with an LP; could easily twang, but at the same time have a nice neck tone that only angels sing.

Yeah, do you get I miss it.

TBurst Std said:

I have always preferred Tele plates reversed. Figured that out back in 82 with my first Tele.

Haha yes I just remembered what I learned from the three knob tele plate on my jazzcaster: three full sized pot won't fit! On that guitar I used Bourns 95 pots (which are a little smaller than "standard") for the volume and tone.

That's awesome that you used to be a pro player! I bet you've got all kinds of stories you could tell.

I'd agree a tele is about as versatile as it gets! If I had to pick just one of my guitars to play all sorts of tones it would be my jazzcaster.

Here's a recent fav (last decade) of a Tele (actually an Esquire converted to Tele) rocking. Make sure to listen on FRFR speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3dLKVSs6s

Yeah that's how I remember sounding through that JTM and an OD pedal decades ago
, NOT, but I wish.

I remember when what DVD/CD came out. I got it for Christmas and went on a drive and listened (at loud vol). When it came to that song it was, it can't be a Strat, can't be a P90 LP, only one instrument has that authority, A Tele.

You have to get forward to past the 1st half to get to that point.

ragamuffin said:
TBurst Std said:

Haha yes I just remembered what I learned from the three knob tele plate on my jazzcaster: three full sized pot won't fit! On that guitar I used Bourns 95 pots (which are a little smaller than "standard") for the volume and tone.

That's awesome that you used to be a pro player! I bet you've got all kinds of stories you could tell.

I'd agree a tele is about as versatile as it gets! If I had to pick just one of my guitars to play all sorts of tones it would be my jazzcaster.
More stories of miss-adventures than anything else. All I know was I was close to my dad's pay monthly for my playing at age 18. It was a short story due to an injury. I'm just glad that decades later I have been able to perform again publically (free and paid) for the last decade plus.

Having just moved 1000+ miles back in Jan, give me a few months LOL. But already scheduled to play live again.

@TBurst Std Live At Pompeii was not released till 2017 and recorded in July 2016. So perhaps it was Pulse you are recalling?

TBurst Std said:
It was Pompeii.  When I said last decade , I meant within the last 10 years.

Though you mentioned decades ago, getting the CD/DVD for Christmas, playing at age 18 in a couple of posts. Hence me wondering which DVD you meant.

Far as I know "Live at Pompeii" was a documentary recorded in 1972. I own the DVD. Just before Dark Side was released.

Spud said:
Far as I know "Live at Pompeii" was a documentary recorded in 1972. I own the DVD. Just before Dark Side was released.

Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii was indeed. The video that TBurst posted is from David Gilmour Live at Pompeii, different band and decade and with an audience.

stratamania said:
Spud said:

Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii was indeed. The video that TBurst posted is from David Gilmour Live at Pompeii, different band and decade and with an audience.
What the dickens! No lava and rockets! It is a scandal!! :laughing7:

ragamuffin said:
Sadie-f said:

That's true! Roasted ash just seems to get much darker when a finish is applied. I hadn't thought about trying to roast my own...

I asked Warmoth to include scraps when I purchased my body in January and they did.  You could go that avenue.

mysticaxe said:
I asked Warmoth to include scraps when I purchased my body in January and they did.  You could go that avenue.

Cool, I didn't know they would do that! Thanks

Back