The Gold Digger

ragamuffin

So, now that I've sold off my "Suprocaster" parts I can start thinking about my next build: The Gold Digger. It will be a baritone build using the Supro humbucker-sized goldfoil pickups that I bought a while back.

I'm thinking:
-Hybrid Strat body HH is roasted swamp ash which I'll finish in tru oil
-Yellow tortoise pickguard
-Chopped tele bridge
-Chrome and brass hardware

Something like this, but in a strat body shape
xHl9cpy.png

I'm ready to order the body, but I can't decide on the neck woods. It will either be
1.) Roasted maple with a rosewood board
2.) Roasted maple with a ziricote board, or
3.) Canary with a ziricote board

Any input? I love my roasted maple neck, but I haven't tried canary ziricote. Also, I don't want the neck to look overly busy.

alexreinhold said:
You are a machine ragamuffin ;-)

My vote: 2.) Roasted maple with a ziricote board

Thanks Alex! Yeah I've got the build addiction real bad... I think I started to dream up this build before I was done with the last!

I'm thinking roasted maple/ziricote too

I had a all canary and it burnished out real nice. I have a couple roasted maple necks too. One plus is how good it smelled as I burnished them. Seem like the color of roasted maple would pair nice with the moc up you posted.

Haven't had anything with zircote yet. I have a bocote fret board I really like. Hard decisions  :glasses10:

ehhh ... nice idea but could you possibly find a more primitive and less functional bridge? (snark)
Seriously - I can't imagine why anyone would use a bridge so limited in intonation setting.

Canary & zircote for sure.

I dig about build desire. I ordered my all maple body & maple + rosewood neck at the same time I had finished the rosewood strat enough to stop and play it for a month. #1 was still receiving its carved sections and piezos when #2 arrived.

Next build will be all maple acoustic, I don't anticipate starting before I retire :).

Thanks guys! Hmm... canary or roasted maple, canary or roasted maple...  :icon_scratch:
I'm thinking the color of roasted maple might be a little better with the body, but I've seen some BEAUTIFUL pictures of canary https://twitter.com/warmothguitar/status/653694999079583744

Also @Steve_Karl I'll be using Gotoh "swiveling"/"adjustable" tele saddles (the same kind Suhr uses) so I can intonate properly and make the bridge SLIGHTLY less archaic. I just love the aesthetic/feel of a classic telecaster bridge, despite it's inherent flaws.

JKRMvNg.jpg

I have that gotoh bridge but with the cut away and it intonates perfectly.  Don't look back.

If you need to adjust the body plan some to step its game up to matching that neck idea, I say do eet!

Sadie-f said:
If you need to adjust the body plan some to step its game up to matching that neck idea, I say do eet!

This made me think and now I juggling the body wood options! I think I'm going to go with canary/ziricote, and I was thinking a white korina body would match the color palate nicely and not be too busy... However, I gave Warmoth a call and they don't have any white korina right now... Hmm

Neck meat. Roasted maple or Canary
FB : Zircote, ebony, nothing wrong with rosewood. Had aPau Ferro fb on a neck and loved it. Add that to the party

Just sayin for the pic you posted:
Choice 1 Canary/Ebony
2 Canary/Zircote
3 and 4 repeat but with roasted maple

I’ve read enough issues(?) with roasted maple here that I’m hesitant on it (splitting wood and all).  Canary is a time proven alternative

TBurst Std said:
Just sayin for the pic you posted:
Choice 1 Canary/Ebony
2 Canary/Zircote
3 and 4 repeat but with roasted maple

I’ve read enough issues(?) with roasted maple here that I’m hesitant on it (splitting wood and all).  Canary is a time proven alternative
I agree, Canary and ziricote is definately a choice neck. But the pic wasn't directed at you.... :toothy11:

Back