The Burl Twins

DocNrock

Master Member
I ordered a VIP with a camphor burl top...then I wanted to make a second one.  To keep from making them sheer duplicates, I decided one should be a baritone.  Both have black korina backs and maple caps with camphor burl lam tops.  The neck on the baritone is bubinga and the neck on the standard is imbuia.  The bubinga neck has an ebony fretboard and abalone dots.  The imbuia neck has a brazillian rosewood fingerboard and MOP dots.  Both have 6100 SS frets, and OFRs.

The baritone has Seymour blackouts.  The standard has an old DiMarzio MegaDrive in the bridge and a Sustainiac in the neck. 

Enjoy.

Baritone:

front-2.jpg

bariback.jpg

Standard:

susburlfront.jpg

back2-1.jpg

The Pair:

burltwins.jpg

:icon_biggrin:

WOW! Nice work! Hey, what strings did you end up using on the baritone and how does it feel with a floyd? That is a very original build.
Do I see 14 guitars in that pic? Quite a haul.

tfarny said:
WOW! Nice work! Hey, what strings did you end up using on the baritone and how does it feel with a floyd? That is a very original build.
Do I see 14 guitars in that pic? Quite a haul.

Thanks Tim.  I used Planet Waves tuners, so the largest string could be a .060.  The final set is custom assembled and is 0.013 - 0.058.  It works awesomely.  Regarding the Floyd, it is blocked so that there is no pull-up, but dive bombs are killer.   :evil4:  Really, a baritone is nothing more than a 6-string 7-string, if that makes any sense.  There are plenty of 7 stringers with Floyds.  FWIW, the Blackouts are much more organic than other actives (like EMGs).  The bottom end is tight and well-defined.  I'm still working with this guitar to find its sweet spot, but it is getting easier. 

Regarding the guitars, the rack on the left has 7, the corner rack 5 (4 guitars and one bass), and the one in the background has 5, that is 17.  These two make 19.  I have one more under construction.   :laughing7:  I'm stopping there. 

Max said:
Skin disease!
And that imbuia matches the korina perfectly!

I think so, too.   :icon_thumright:

And regarding "skin disease," you've been listening too much to GoDrex.  :laughing7:

You're gonna have to operate, stat, Doc.  Those lamtops are clearly cancerous.  I give you less than six months to ROCK.  :guitarplayer2:

Very beautiful indeed Brent, I love 'em both..... :icon_thumright:

You now have more than me, I'm at 17 including Krankenstein...

dbw said:
You're gonna have to operate, stat, Doc.  Those lamtops are clearly cancerous.  I give you less than six months to ROCK.   :guitarplayer2:

Am I gonna die?  :icon_scratch:  ???  :sad1:

DangerousR6 said:
Very beautiful indeed Brent, I love 'em both..... :icon_thumright:

You now have more than me, I'm at 17 including Krankenstein...

Thanks, bud!  :icon_thumright:

And thanks to all the others for the kind words.  :headbang1:

I've had a similar idea for over a year - and strayed to build a showcase body. Seeing these  makes me want to get back on track. Love the way they came out - the burl is so cool. Beautiful guitars -  :headbang1:

He Brent, what brand of stands are those? I've been pondering the idea of a rack type stand to set up mine. Tired of opening and closing cases.... :sad1: I also took a gander at the wall hangers, but i have my reservations about those... :icon_scratch:

Doug I've got both stands and wall hangers, as does Marko.. I like the stands for most my stuff.. by I like having my W on the wall.. let it stand out.. both work really well.. just make sure you find the stud of course  :icon_thumright:

Death by Uberschall said:
Very nice guitars.  :icon_thumright:

How do you like the blackouts?

:headbang1:

They sound pretty sweet in a baritone application.  The low B chord is fat and tight, and the dive bombs with the Floyd.... :headbang1:

Another great use that has emerged for my baritone...it is my "workout" guitar.  I have started using it for scalar/speed exercises.  After I'm done "working out" with it, I go to one of my guitars strung up with 9's, and man it is easy playin'.  :icon_biggrin:

Back