That block thingy on the pickguard.

TexxasJam

Ok I admit it, its a lame title for a thread.  But, I was wanting to know the name and function of those little block-like things protruding from the pick guards of Fender Jazz and Precision Basses. Not all of Fender's basses have one, just some. And they're not always in the same spot, sometimes they are located below the strings and other times just above. In case you guys are confused as to what I am talking about take a look a the beautiful J-Bass posted on this site by "willyk". (Click the link below) Note the close up of the Bass' pickguard in the second photo.  What is that gold thing just below and in between the neck and the first pickup. Thanks in advance for your replies.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=93.0

Thanks to willyk, if you read this I hope you don't mind that I used your bass as an example. Great lefty bass there! I play left-handed myself.

Above the strings, they're a thumbrest. I don't know what anyone uses them for below the strings.

Personally I mostly rest my thumb on the B string (unless I'm playing it) so I can move my hand around depending on tonal desires.

Not a bass player, but I've seen players that primary use their thumbs instead of fingers/pick  rest the other finger(s) on a rest in that position and swivel their hand at the wrist to pop the strings with their thumbs

jackthehack said:
Not a bass player, but I've seen players that primary use their thumbs instead of fingers/pick  rest the other finger(s) on a rest in that position and swivel their hand at the wrist to pop the strings with their thumbs

I guess I can see that. If I ever use the thumb for tonal reasons I ususally just use the bridge.

the original electric bass players plucked with their thumb and not their fingers, hence that inclusion of a finger rest below the strings on older basses (and many newer re-issues)

all the best,

R

to tell you the truth i never knew that.  thanks for this post TexxasJam. Bit of insight into bass history.

G'day TexxasJam;

I don't mind at all, it's nice to meet a fellow lefty and welcome to the board. SkuttleFunk has nailed the answer as always. I put these fingerbraces on all my basses although I hardly ever touch them. I just think Fender style basses don't look right without them. I usually fit the ashtrays too (then take'm off !!) weird or what ?  It did come in handy once when my strap came off in the middle of a song so maybe it's a superstition with me.......best wishes  WillyK

SkuttleFunk said:
the original electric bass players plucked with their thumb and not their fingers, hence that inclusion of a finger rest below the strings on older basses (and many newer re-issues)

all the best,

R

thats how i learned how to play, i don't like alternating the indy and middle finger, i just use the thumb and the indy. Im the best bassist i know in person, so that might mean something, except i only know about 3 bassists

You bass players and your finger/thumb rests, try playen more often , or get one of them squeezy things to build up some strength in those fingers, geez.........it's not rocket science

when i learned to play bass i use a pick like Chris Squire and Roger Waters do. I didnt know at the time that most bassist used their fingers.

Brian

SkuttleFunk said:

all the best,

R

willyk said:
G'day TexxasJam;

I don't mind at all, it's nice to meet a fellow lefty and welcome to the board. SkuttleFunk has nailed the answer as always. I put these fingerbraces on all my basses although I hardly ever touch them. I just think Fender style basses don't look right without them. I usually fit the ashtrays too (then take'm off !!) weird or what ?  It did come in handy once when my strap came off in the middle of a song so maybe it's a superstition with me.......best wishes  WillyK

Thanks SkuttleFunk, WillyK (and everyone else) for the informational replies. I had no idea it was a Thumbrest. Makes sense. I thought it was something bolted on to the pickguard to improve tonal quality or to keep the pickguard in place or something like that.  I'm with you WillyK, I like the way a bass looks with them rather than without. I think I'll bolt one on my P-Bass...er that is if I ever get around to building one.  Thanks again everyone, and thanks again to WillyK for the use of your thread.  :eek:ccasion14:

They've moved the position of it over the years... thumb, finger, nose, beer gut.... all rests of some sort.  Pretty soon they'll put legs on it so you can sit and rest yer ass. 

I put one on my FUSA JazzBass the pickguard had the holes for it already there... so .. I stuck it on, and promptly found its in the damn way.

Alfang said:
You bass players and your finger/thumb rests, try playen more often , or get one of them squeezy things to build up some strength in those fingers, geez.........it's not rocket science

You'll go blind if you keep squeezin' it :tard:

You don't go blind thats a myth! i red about it in a clean non dirty magazine... 

>JR< said:
You don't go blind thats a myth! i red about it in a clean non dirty magazine... 

Well that's a relief.... :glasses9:... :eek:... :glasses9:... :eek:... :glasses9:... :eek:... :glasses9:... :eek:... :glasses9:

bahahaha! c'mon Willy keep it clean! we don't wanna go to far off topic now.

Back