Tele with an Identity Crisis - Finished!

Here's the original Kisekae image.  I ended up doing the black PG instead of Tortoise and left the headstock orientation normal.

BirdseyeMapleTele01.jpg

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Here's the original Kisekae image.  I ended up doing the black PG instead of Tortoise and left the headstock orientation normal.

BirdseyeMapleTele01.jpg
Shoulda left it upside down and put a Floyd on it....... :headbang1:

Max said:
Looks great! How's it sounding?

Funny you ask.  When I tell people about it, I have their attention until I say, "EMGs."  I have played guitar since I was your age Max, but have played bass in a band for the last 2 years, so (me) gigging with it probably won't happen.  However, my guitar player has played it for our last 4 shows.  Mind you, these are 3 sets, 2 breaks, 4 hour shows.  He's put some time in on it.  He is an SRV/TX Blues tone hound.  I can't quote him exactly, but it was, "If that jack were bigger, I'd _______ it."

Max said:
Sounds like a winner. How do you describe the sound?

Very Strat-like in the neck and middle.  The bridge, I'm not quite sure yet.  I like the 2 and 4 positions more than the individual pickups by themselves, and in humbucking, it is a MONSTER!

Ironically, it can sound like everything but a Tele.  I could've done a mini-toggle and gotten a few more pickup combos out of it, but that would be getting ridiculous.  There's possible, and there's useable. 

I love it!
I never noticed in the 'in progress' pics that it had a birdseye top! it looks brilliant!

Max said:
Is the bridge everything you wanted?

The bridge orientation I'm guessing?  I love it just fine.  It's already gotten a few looks, that's how I can tell who the gearheads are.  Anywho, the orientation and sound differences I'm not sure about because I don't have that same pickup and normal bridge for a comparison.  Also, of the 2 Tele bridge pickups that EMG makes, I got the less ice-pickier one.  So it's bright, but not "Tele" bright.

Awesome Tele!  :icon_thumright:

I started noticing this recently.  When did EMG become a dirty word....was it the introduction of Blackouts that kicked this into high gear?

Blue313 said:
Awesome Tele!  :icon_thumright:

I started noticing this recently.  When did EMG become a dirty word....was it the introduction of Blackouts that kicked this into high gear?

I don't know.  Their criticism is often that they sound "sterile."  If anything, that points to the amp's tone being sterile.  My guitar player who swore he would hate it, loves it.  He was suprised that a high output pickup could sound good clean.  He depends on one or two pedals and the amp's overdrive for his sound.  He was surprised that rolling the volume on or off controlled the breakup of the overdrive like it did, like he was used to with a medium output passive.

I really love the original concept with the reverse headstock (it screams what's out of place here).....it's a beauty though.

don't listen to anyone but yourself about the EMG's.  I look back at all the people who's tones I love, so many use em.  I love them 2.

Back