Tele saddle dilemma (graph tech ghost + earvana)

bob7point7

So I'm overhauling a Warmoth Tele and I'm having a bit of a dilemma.  I plan to install mini humbuckers and graphtech ghost saddles using a guitar parts global bridge plate (pic below).  My very cool wife surprised me by ordering a roasted maple Tele neck for Xmas but she unintentionally ordered it with an Earvana nut. Originally I was going to use ghost compensated Tele saddles but it looks like the Earvana nut changes the ideal saddle position. The GPG bridge plate works with 3 or 6 saddle setups so I could use 6 saddles but the ghost saddles come in 2 1/16 or 2 3/16 spacing while the bridge plate has 2 1/8 spacing. So now I'm considering 4 options:
1. Use the 3 compensated saddles and just compromise a little on the intonation. Probably not a big deal but it seems odd with a nut designed to improve intonation.
2. Use 2 1/16 saddles and have a small gap between each saddle. Will they move with string bends and such?
3. Use 2 1/16 saddles and mill grooves in the baseplate for the saddle height screws. Should work but might be tough to get a clean groove.
4. Use 2 3/16 saddles and file/cut them down to fit. Will this screw up the piezo crystals in the ghost saddles?
So what do you guys think? Am I completely overthinking this?

Attachments

• ss-mini-paf1-900x900.jpg
    ss-mini-paf1-900x900.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,365
Option 2. And don't worry about the saddles moving. What you're going to have to worry about more is drilling access holes for the saddle's wires. 'Twas no fun last time I did it.

If you stay with the bridge I would do number 1 or 2. A compensated Tele bridge is compensating for getting a better intonation at for example the twelfth fret than you could get with an original 3 saddle Tele bridge.

The Earvana nut provides compensation so that chords etc are more in tune with each other at the first few frets.

Yeah, I figured the gap between the saddles to be .012" -probably not worth worrying about so option 2 looks like the winner. As far as drilling holes for wires, I have a Bridgeport and some cobalt bits at my disposal. I'm sure it will still be a pain but it should be doable. Stratamania, I see where you're coming from, but making changes at the nut will have some effect on where the saddles end up. Not a ton, but some. Cagey, how do you like your ghost setup?

I haven't finished it yet. But, I've got a customer's body coming that's going to require some routing, so as long as I'm making a mess I'll probably pull the JM out and dig a hole for the battery box. Once that's done, the rest will be fairly straightforward.

So, order another neck w/o ervana nut, build another guitar around the ervana neck, she forced you to do that.

Most of us, or many of us here would build another guitar around the smallest of parts, like a volume knob.

Hehehehehe, don't worry Alfang, I'm one of those guys. I'm trying to keep it under control though. I may even sell the rosewood neck I pull off this guitar just to resist the urge  to build a guitar around it (it's a standard thin which I'm not much of a fan of anyway).

Back