Tele pickup on Strat body (top route) - order a S/S/S Strat route?

Toy Sun

Title (I hope) says it all.
I want to put a standard Tele neck pickup on a Strat body (top mount/top route) - hope I have my terminology correct - first post.
Should I just order a standard Strat routing? I'm considering a Tele neck, too. Will it work?
Thanks,
John

Just get a universal boat rout and you can put in anything you want. Look here: https://warmoth.com/guitar-pickup-routs
If it's something else then call warmoth directly.

Also, as for the neck if you want a tele headstock with a strat heel ... When you call or (write warmoth) ask for this off menu item item. They'll give you a quote. Calling is better if are in North America or can use one of those calling cards from overseas. You'll get your answer immediately instead of having to dither.

I recommend you get these books to familiarize yourself with terminology:

The Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine
The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer
The Fender Telecaster by A.R. Duchossoir
The Stratocaster by A.R. Duchossoir
You can get them cheap used. Start with the guitar handbook.

Post what you wind up doing.

Upvote 0
In addition to the routs for Tele Bridge and neck which are both different to each other as well as a Strat pickup, you would also not be able to order a strat pickguard from Warmoth with these routs but could order a pickguard without the routs and cut the pickup routs out.

The hybrid strat is the closest that Warmoth offer off the shelf for Tele pickups in a Strat shape body. See post above for link.

Upvote 0
Wow, what a great community, appreciate the detailed info.
I don't want a Tele 2 pickup setup, I want a 3 pickup Strat, but am thinking about a tele pickup in the bridge position. I like that sound for Jazz - think Ed Bickert, if anyone knows who he is. The Charlie Christian Lollar is another idea. So the boat route seems like a great option - looks like you can put anything in there. No problem for the pickguard, as I have access to a laser cutter (no ABS, but I can do acrylic).
But it's clear I'll need to contact Warmoth about a Strat heel on a Tele neck. Good advice about calling them - I happen to live pretty close by. Wish they had a showroom.

Upvote 0
i love ed bickert, he had a tele with a humbucker neck, and a allen wrench taped on because he didnt know what the allen wrench was for... but on the builder if you choose hybrid strat you can have 2 strat pickups in neck middle position and tele bridge

Upvote 0
I stand corrected on Ed Bickert - but not how great he is! I still want a Strat with a tele neck (because of the look of the headstock) and a tele pickup in the front position, but I am more than ready to have you guys convince me of anything. Bottom line is that I want to use the front pickup for a nice jazz sound, which I used to be able to get with my mid80's USA stock Tele. The Charlie Christian is intriguing. The middle and bridge pickups need to do the following: Bridge = hot humbucker (but in single coil form factor) and middle pickup whatever will give me the most options for cool variations with a 5 way switch. I think of the middle pickup as a "helper" for the neck and bridge, if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Upvote 0
Why limit yourself to a five way when you can have more options in an easy to use form factor from a freeway switch.

Upvote 0
Or.......you can get a tele heel Cut on a strat body. It not "off menu" this way. IMO, the square heel should be more stable. I ordered all 3 of mine this way.

Universal rout is a good thing too.

I thought you could get any pickguard routs? If not wd music can cut what you need
20211009_144118.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's a perfect solution: Tele heel on Strat body. Actually, you can also order a Tele neck with a Strat heel. Appears to give the same result. Any reason why one would be better over the other?

I like your guitar! What bridge is that?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which one is better depends on your plan for the future. If your going to be swapping necks there are more necks with strat heels. For instance reverend used a strat heel years ago so if you wanted to swap a strat neck it was easy. Not sure what they do now. Also the term for the body routing where neck goes is called the pocket.

Upvote 0
Which one is better depends on your plan for the future. If your going to be swapping necks there are more necks with strat heels. For instance reverend used a strat heel years ago so if you wanted to swap a strat neck it was easy. Not sure what they do now. Also the term for the body routing where neck goes is called the pocket.
This was my reasoning. I went the tele heel route (pun intended) on my strat so I could swap necks around if need be.

I continued this M.O. on my third build.

That's a perfect solution: Tele heel on Strat body. Actually, you can also order a Tele neck with a Strat heel. Appears to give the same result. Any reason why one would be better over the other?

I like your guitar! What bridge is that?

Thanks,
John
Tele pocket is the correct term as Rick pointed out.

My way of thinking (right or wrong) with the tele heel is that it is completely square and less likely to want to rotate in the pocket.

And thank you for the compliment! The bridge is a hipshot hardtail.

Upvote 0
Not really, some bodies and pick guards do not offer any rout. It can be checked in the pickguard and body builders.

Does warmoth do "off menu" pickup routs?
I mean, the have the rout programmed for Tele pickguards.

My optimum version of a tele/strat would be a strat with a tele bridge and a strat pickguard routed to fit around it with a tele neck pickup. I've never seen it before.

Upvote 0
This was my reasoning. I went the tele heel route (pun intended) on my strat so I could swap necks around if need be.

I continued this M.O. on my third build.

Tele pocket is the correct term as Rick pointed out.

My way of thinking (right or wrong) with the tele heel is that it is completely square and less likely to want to rotate in the pocket.

And thank you for the compliment! The bridge is a hipshot hardtail.
I would not worry about that. If the screws are tight, between that and string tension, the neck is not going to rotate.

There are custom basses starting at 5 digits that have rounded necks/pocket intersections. No problem

Upvote 0
@Waraxe

See the Section Service of the guidelines linked below, I can only provide what is known to be the case in terms of what Warmoth will or will not do. It may vary from time to time. For anything not stated on the website as @Rick stated, you must contact them by email or calling.

Upvote 0
Back