tele imitating strat

vtpcnk

this is from another thread :

>One of the sweetest blues-rock tones ever is the neck-middle combination in a Strat.

would it be possible to replicate this combination anyway with a coil splittable humbucker and a tele bridge?

I would think so. It won't be exact, but the general feel should be there. Get a tele bridge, and have it in parallel (I think) with the reverse-wound coil of the humbucker. A problem might come up when running the full HB against the tele bridge, but if you get fancy with resistors or something, or have a separate volume control, it should be manageable.

>A problem might come up when running the full HB against the tele bridge

i'm only talking about the single splittable coil in a hb in combination with a tele bridge.

No.  You can only give your basic platform versitility.  A tele will always be a tele, unless you do something drastic to it.  If you want a strat like sound then do this:
Tele Bridge
Strat Middle
Humbucker Neck
Use a 7 way switch, with a push pull to split the neck humbucker.
7 way ='s
bridge
bridge middle
middle
middle neck
neck
neck middle bridge
neck bridge

You  can put this on a tele platform, with just one tone and volume control.  Anything else is too complicated (for me). 

Short answer: no. The way to get the "2" position in a tele is to install a strat neck and middle pickup in it. A humbucker neck / tele bridge pickup is a different and also awesome classic rock sound though.

7 way switch? That's crazy! I can't see that being used much...

And yes, humbucker/tele is awesome. It works really well.

I know, it's crazy and I love it.  A 7 way switch and a trio of texas special single coils is a great combination.  It's like using the four way switch in a tele, it gives you that little extra omph.  Frankly you don't need the humbucker with this combo, but I just wanted to give him the options.

For a really confusing wiring diagram,
tele bridge, stagmag middle, and p-rails neck. You'd need like an 87 position switch!

But seriously guys... a guitar can't do EVERYTHING without making some compromises in tone... pick a few sounds that you like and stick with em... and if that doesn't have enough options... build another guitar.

In response to the original post, your going to need a strat's neck and middle pickups to nail that sound. You could step into that territory with fancy splitting and spaghetti wiring jobs, but if you want the real tone, you'll have to do it the real way...

rockskate4x said:
For a really confusing wiring diagram,
tele bridge, stagmag middle, and p-rails neck. You'd need like an 87 position switch!

But seriously guys... a guitar can't do EVERYTHING without making some compromises in tone... pick a few sounds that you like and stick with em... and if that doesn't have enough options... build another guitar.

In response to the original post, your going to need a strat's neck and middle pickups to nail that sound. You could step into that territory with fancy splitting and spaghetti wiring jobs, but if you want the real tone, you'll have to do it the real way...

Bingo.  It's cool to have super-fancy switching and all, but bottom line is tone, and if you want the authentic Strat #2 tone, why not just use a Strat?

Even a simple mod like coil-tapping a bucker, if used to try to obtain a Strat single coil tone, falls short tone-wise.

Whatever way you decide to slice it, the end result (tone) is everything.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a thread on the seymour duncan forum about the jerry donahue tele wiring.

I think with a 5-way super switch and some other gizmo's you can get something like a strat bridge/middle sound

this should help out..................maybe.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46917

Good luck!

Juan

I think that the best way to do what your thinking is to get complete strat setup with S-1 switching but with a tele bridge and bridge pup on a tele body.

Back