Tele Hybrid - Routing for Deluxe Controls

TaddleTele

Thanks to forum members for clarifying why W won’t omit the Strat cavity routing in a Tele Hybrid, here:

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33642.0

This brings me to an idea that might get me out of the woods and get me the guitar I’m hoping for (Otherwise, it’s off to find a Luthier). I’d be grateful for any constructive feedback.

Here’s the thought…

Order a Tele Hybrid, chambered, with all the contours, universal pickup cavity and the Warmoth-imposed Strat control cavity routing. Then, using a Tele Deluxe control cavity routing template route as required to fit and install a Deluxe style pickguard with the upper LP style switch and four pots below.

I have a MIJ Tele Custom Deluxe and AS Strat sitting here that show a Deluxe scratch plate will happily cover the Strat cavity routing, but, will the chambered structure retain enough strength after I benevolently add the Tele Deluxe routing?

I have enough wood working tools and skills to get myself into and out of trouble. And scars to prove it. I’m keen to read your thoughts!

Perhaps this may be useful to inform an opinion.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-chambered-bodies

It seems likely (almost certain) that you will run into issues when you try to enlarge the control cavity on a chambered body.

I thought the most logical solution to your issue is to order a standard tele body with the rear control route, that is chambered.  The main difference is its designed to be used without a pickguard, which is an aesthetic aspect.  It would fit your requirements except you would need to choose your own location for the control pots.  Warmoth will route the upper toggle switch if you select "LP controls" and check the box for it. 

If you prefer to use a pickguard, you could instead order a "Tele deluxe" body that is Not chambered, but ask Warmoth to choose lightweight wood.

Cheers folks, I appreciate the input and suggestions. JHT I’m just checking out your suggestion…

(Moments later)

Yep. JHT, you nailed it. Problem solved. Thank you kindly Sir.

That's good.  It seems like you decided on a rear route body.  I hope you post your progress if you go ahead with it.

Back