Tele Body + PAF+mapleneck -> more like a gibson?

Caisa

Hi what kind of wood do you recommend for a Tele with rec. tune-o-matic bridge routing and maple/maple neck for a sound more Gibson like...?
Chambered / not chambered?

Is think maybe mahogany or korina but I am not shure how it will sound with a maple neck, most of you say the neck wood has a big influence in tone.

Or is that impossible with a maple neck? Pickups are from the PAF class.
I am playing Blues and some Rock stuff,  NO metall/hardrock etc.

Thanks

It'll definitely sound MORE like a gibson...but not exactly. You'll get some more top end from the maple... not that that's a huge problem. The general consensus I've read is that if it's too bright roll down your treble!!!

The tele "shape" has the least effect, except maybe the lower mass that a tele would have compared to a LP. PAFs and Mahogany/Korina will definitely shoot you in the right direction. I'd be really worried if you were trying to use tele pickups to get a Gibson sound.

Haven't tried a chambered body yet.... but I've heard tons of good stuff about it, so I'm planning on a hollow build next unless I settle for an explorer.

Hey, my tele (swamp ash, maple neck, neck humbucker, tele bridge) gets a G vibe! Don't forget that scale length will change the tension. I like my guitars a tad bit bright (still need to find the balance for the bridge, though... I'll get there though!)

Go for it!

Hi, the scale length will be the same, I do not want to use a conversion neck...

Using the Fender 25.5" scale compared to the shorter Gibson scale is changing it, when comparing to a Gibson.  When you say you're not changing the scale and won't use a conversion neck, the scale is changed when compared with a Gibson.  So, no it's not changed, but it isn't the same.

haha... super turbo's explanation was as confusing as heck... but whatever. Get's the point across after a couple reads through

Yeah, I'm lost. Basically I think he was trying to say that there is a notable difference in playing feel and sound between the 25.5" (Fender) and 24.75" (Gibson) scale lengths. The longer scale requires higher string tension, giving more snap. In contrast, I would describe a Gibson as sounding slightly "floppy" in comparison.

OK, what I wanted to say is that I will not change the Fender scale length so it is the same as other Telecasters...
I

You're not going to get a "Gibson sound" with a maple neck. Mahogany neck, or an exotic neck that would approximate, like all rosewood.

Thats is what I thought too, but I already have a beautiful birdseye maple neck I want to use. 
What can I expect with a mahogany rec. tunomatic + maple neck + paf?

Don't worry.  Lots of Gibsons have maple necks and they still sound like Gibsons.  When you're playing through PAFs nobody will mistake it for a Telecaster sound, no matter what woods you use.

+1

There are even a few maple necked LPs floating around.  Don't forget amp settings in the list of variables.  John Foggerty turns the highs up so much on his LP Custom, you'd swear it was a Tele.

What do you think about this one here?

Actually I do not know if there is a possibility to get a rear routed Tele Deluxe body.

Caisa said:
Actually I do not know if there is a possibility to get a rear routed Tele Deluxe body.

It's all in how you word it.  If you ask for a rear-routed Tele Deluxe body, they might say no.  If you say you want a rear-routed Tele body with LP control layout, that might be doable.

Well I have a standart rear routed Tele body with a Wilkinson trem at home. Does anybody know if the Telecaster Deluxe pickguard fits on a body with a Wilki and if the standart rear routed cavity is big enough that I can realize an LP Contol Layout?

It fits a standard flatmount so it should fit a wilky ok.... and it already looks like an LP type layout (4 pots, one toggle switch above the strings). It should be fine if you just drill those holes through the top to match the pick guard.

Hi, no the control cavity I now have is not like a LP. It is a Strat layout, but that will be covered by the pickguard. The question is if the LP layout fits into a normal rear routed Tele.

Because of the toggle switch over the strings I think, I can route that by myself (that will be covered by the pickguard too)

Have a lam top.  They route it just like an LP, then glue the top on.  There are plenty of flat top LPs with trems, so it will work.  And for the controls on the rear, it would get the trapezoidal route and corresponding cover, like an LP.

Back