Swirl Finish

Rampant

Anyone seen that Eerie Dess Swirl on Jacksons?  How would you pull off something like that?

i had the same idea a while ago with one of my guitars and i thought this site looked pretty good.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

but i know for a fact the finish experts on this site can tell you if that link is the way to go or not

Someone should be digging up the link soon, but Warmoth had a swirl job on a few of the guitars.

Max said:
Someone should be digging up the link soon, but Warmoth had a swirl job on a few of the guitars.
That's a different type of swirl than what Warmoth was doing Max..... :doh:

DangerousR6 said:
Max said:
That's a different type of swirl than what Warmoth was doing Max..... :doh:
Oh, well. Mybad. I'm no swirl expert, obviously :p

JaySwear said:
i had the same idea a while ago with one of my guitars and i thought this site looked pretty good.

but i know for a fact the finish experts on this site can tell you if that link is the way to go or not

That is very cosmic...
peace.gif

I wouldn't mind trying that with a spare body just to see what happens.  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
Anybody here tried this method???

bbl4ck said:
JaySwear said:

That is very cosmic...
peace.gif

I wouldn't mind trying that with a spare body just to see what happens.   :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
Anybody here tried this method???
I used to do it with model car bodies. A tub of water and some Testors enamel works just the same.... :icon_biggrin:

How about that cool "bowling ball" marble finish that the Fender Standard Stratocasters were available with back in 1984 before getting sold to Bill Schultz and co.?  How did they do that?

Here is one from 1983.  I actually saw one of these in Sonny's Guitar Shop (Columbus, OH) back in 1985 or so...

1398.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
I kinda like the old 70's looking bowling ball finish.... :icon_biggrin:
576b.jpg

Man, I am diggin' this...  :headbang: I am going to have to try one of these hip fest axes!
Kind of reminds me of the paint job on the Hendrix V
f_67jhpsy.jpg

His was methodologically painted, but it still has that same vibe.  I gotta try it  :icon_jokercolor:

There is a LOT to pulling off a good swirl paint job.  For one thing, the results are almost entirely random and most people who try it end up sanding the body back down and trying again many times before they get something half way decent.  There is definitely an art to this and a science.  A big factor seems to be the precise paint brand used.  Getting water marks when the paint drys is a difficult thing to overcome as well.  If you go to www.jemsite.com and do some fishing around there you'll find several people who are doing these paint finishes as well as up and coming guys trying to figure it out.  Some of them are happy to share what they've learned, but the best ones probably aren't going to tell you everything you need to get great results because they are trying to sell their product.  Here's my custom swirl Jem done by Herc Fede.  He no longer takes custom orders but if you watch ebay, you may catch him selling a body here and there.  Only problem is getting a swirled headstock to match the body since he no longer takes custom orders.

SwirlComplete043.jpg

SwirlComplete040.jpg

SwirlComplete038.jpg

SwirlComplete030.jpg

Back