Swamp ash question - am I in the minority?

heydenkm

I love the look of swamp ash.  There is some really interesting stuff that can go on with the grain patterns.  However, it appears that I often like the back of the Showcase guitar better than to face.  Is the stuff that I like actually the lesser grade wood?

I found this example:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Shape=2&Path=Body,Telecaster&sort=price&i=t1379
If you look at the front, it is pretty nice and clean.  But on the back, the wood has some real character.  I like the area near the cutaway where there are dark little flecks, almost like worming or scratches.  There is similar stuff at the bottom right of the picture.  Is that stuff actually less desirable to most people?  If I wanted to order a custom body to my specs, I would want it to turn out with a lot of this character.  Would that require that I pay extra for the "premium" stuff, or is that more the "budget" grade wood?  The swamp ash that I have seen in the Unique Choice gallery is not really my style.  It's too clean and uniform.  If that is really the top grade stuff, then I would guess that the stuff I like is not.  I would love to hear some comments.

I am trying to formulate my plans, but most of them involve one or more builds with a swamp ash body and I want to figure out how to get something that I like.  To my eyes, a Tele or Strat built with a body that has a lot of those dark fleck with just a simple clear coat and a birdseye neck is pretty much the cat's meow.  Is it just me?

I feel the same, but with figured maple necks... Very often the back has more figuring than the front.... Go figure...

I've noticed that with some of the bridseye necks that I am looking at.  The back looks amazing.  The fretboard is kinda...ehh.

I really like the top of my new walnut thinline, but I wonder if I actually like the "plain" walnut on the back better...

Maybe they cut the wood on the body (in the example given) like they did because they figured the front would be covered by the pickguard and bridge plate.

Is it safe to assume that some of you guys are agreeing that the back of that guitar is pretty cool looking?  I have actually seen several W bodies that I feel the same way about.  I wish that could somehow flip them over and get the faces reversed.  I am not sure if this is a case of them not being sure what the guitar will look like when they are done, so they load the body blank in the CNC and after the cutting and sanding find that the back is nicer.  Or if they tend to like (or have found that customers prefer) the cleaner more uniform grains patterns.  If it is the first scenario, that makes me worry that it is too difficult to find a blank that will make my ideal guitar.  If it is the second scenario, then they know what it will look like and are choosing to use the cleaner face on the front.  In that case, I can ask that they find one with lots of those flecks and they should be able to make a guitar I fits what I want.

Not to be nitpicky, but I have seen your walnut Soloist.  Both sides of that thing look pretty damned cool.  Warmoth would have had a hard time saying either one should have been the back.

Is it possible to send W a picture of what you would like to have the wood look like?  Do they ususally accommodate these types of requests?  Does it cost extra?  If the stuff that I like is actually the cheap wood, I would hate to pay extra for them to use it.  I get the feeling that those little flecks are sap wood and other "defects".  That's why they try to put them on the back.  If that is the case, I'd be happy to take those defective pieces of wood off their hands at a reduced price :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

In the meantime, I am just trolling the Showcase trying to find a body that has the stuff that I like to see on the front rather than the back.  Not having much luck.

Warmoth can't guarantee a particular grain structure.  There's just too much variance once the blank is cut down. 

You'd honestly be better off continuing with the showcase search.  :sad1:

Back