Swamp Ash JBass Blue Dye Project

Sorry, no pics; this one will be spending the winter in a box in the basement. Neck's finished, but after letting the body's lacquer cure for about 6 weeks I had a horrible flaw in the lacquer develop, while starting the final wet sanding a good sized piece of the lacquer lifted entirely from the back of the body. I spent some time trying to feather back in the flaw, but that's really slow going and I've run out of weather warm enough to shoot lacquer until spring... Northern latitudes/winter sux...

sorry to hear that Jack.  I guess I can't finish mine up at home either.

With hope I'll start spraying laquer after the first of the year.  I work at a car dealership and have access to a paint booth.

I tried renting one of those "climate controlled" storage rooms last winter but got the boot after a couple of weeks once they figured out where the fumes were coming from...

If paint fumes will mask meth lab fumes, you might look into a partnership deal - think of how fast you could work! :blob7:

I wouldn't have anything to do with meth or labs thereof, but would imagine the solvents involved wouldn't smell that much different. Apparently the climate-controlled storage places have a clause in the 3 pages of contract that you sign that prohibit spraying lacquer, refinishing furniture, painting, tanning or anything of that ilk as the aromas can be absorbed by things stored in other units.

Truth be known, it didn't work very well anyway due to poor ventilation....

On bad Hollywood cop shows, the serial killers are always leaving dead bodies piled up in U-Pack-Em storage spaces - so read the fine print, kids! :toothy11:

Hey, Jack, is there any progress on this one?

(I know, I'm going all Dr. Frankenstein on this topic)

jackthehack said:
Forgot to post this; see flaming in the 5A birdseye/ebony neck; out getting it's laser logo cut this week.

Jbassflameneck.jpg

Hey, Jack - where do you get your laser-cutting done?

bagman

Wow...'OLD' thread
Nice project !
+1 for MM pickups
Here's mine...about nine years old now.....
The good old days.....ebony was BLACK no streaks no stain

DSC02986.jpg

Back