Suggestions for metal pickups that have a good sound when split

justsomeguy1

I'm stuck in the 80's. I mostly play rock and metal (lots of hair) from that decade and earlier. I'm building a Warmoth guitar soon that will take me ever so slightly out of my comfort zone. I own mostly Jacksons and Charvels. My Warmoth build will be a 10-16" (first for me that isn't 12" or flatter), on a regular front routed strat body, with a more traditional bridge (as opposed to the rest of my guitars which are fixed or floyds).

Will be HH config. Looking for passive pickups that do all of that classic rock/metal that I like well, but also sounds good when split for me to experiment with.

Budget is $200 USD for the pair, so boutique is not something I'm looking at. I already own two guitars with JB/59 set, and looking for something different.

I only have direct experience with split pickups in my latest partcaster, Suhr Thornbuckers.  I have these setup to split.  The bridge is a TB+ and is a smidge over 9k in output.  On the push / pull, I'm using a 6.8k resistor when I go split.  Ready about this mod (partial split) on the Fralin Pickup site.
https://www.fralinpickups.com/2021/01/27/5-powerful-ways-to-coil-split-your-humbucker/.  This keeps the volume more evenly aligned with the Dimarzio Cruiser in the middle position, or if paired with the other humbucker.  I think they sound great. 

The TB's are very clear to begin with.  I'm no 8th degree wizard of sound geekiness, but the A4 magnets sound beautiful, very clear, expressive and articulate.  This also carries over when they are split.

I have another Warmoth project in the works and have been investigating pickups with more punch to them.  I've seen related threads that you're asking about numerous times on thegearpage.net.  The Suhr Aldrich pickups come up a lot as "great sounding pickups when split".

The Suhr humbuckers generally go for $120 new, so $200 for the set should be doable.

Dude......Suhr Doug Aldrich will end your quest. 80's tone forever, and they split great. You can get typically get an uncovered pair for $205.

The Suhr Aldrich are alright for it, though they're not really much different from the JB/59 set; they're as close to a JB and 59 as Suhr could make without getting a cease & desist from Seymour Duncan. They're overwound just a touch, which does make the split sound a bit nicer than with the Duncans, but ultimately the tone signature of both pickups is 90% the same. (Also, if anyone does want an Adlrich but doesn't want to pay $200+ for a set, you can get an Irongear Hot Slag instead for £30. It's a direct copy of the Aldrich bridge. They haven't copied the neck model—yet!—but their Rolling Mill is quite close. The old Duncan Designed HB-102 set is also extremely similar and also very cheap; you can't tell the difference under high gain.)

I'd offer up the Seymour Duncan Full Shred set for "lots of hair" 80s rock with a good split. The Full Shred bridge is a Custom 5 with short hex poles instead of the usual full length screws and slugs, which results in a tighter, sharper feel than the soft PAF vibe of the Custom 5, and reduces the bass so your plain strings don't get drowned out and the wound strings don't get muddy, as is the case with so many overwound alnico 5 pickups. The neck model is similar to a Jazz but, again, has shortened hex poles for even more clarity than the Jazz has. Importantly, the snappier tone makes them split really well, giving you a sound much closer to a Strat single coil than most humbuckers, especially in any kind of warmer-toned guitar where most humbuckers' split sounds end up closer to something like a P-90 than a Strat or Tele sound. I think the name is a bit misleading as I find the clarity of this set makes them just as good for rhythm as they are for lead and overall they're one of, if not the, most versatile passive humbucker pairs I've come across.

DiMarzio Evo 2 (bridge) and PAF Pro (neck) would be my second pick for passives. Again, they're clearer than most overwound humbuckers, still with enough power to push a valve amp but not so hotly-wound that the low notes get muddy. Compared to the Duncan Full Shred, the PAF Pro is a bit thicker than the Full Shred with a throaty lower-mid hump, while the Evo 2 has an even tighter low end and a bit more power than the Full Shred thanks to the ceramic magnet. The PAF Pro splits well to either coil; the Evo 2 split is a touch flat, so always split it to the neck-facing coil to get a bit more life out of it. I like the DiMarzio set for brighter-tone guitars where the extra depth of the PAF Pro and slightly higher power of the Evo 2 prevent the tone from sounding weak, which can be a problem with the Duncan Full Shred. (Or, conversely, the Full Shred fits warm-toned guitars where the DiMarzio set can start to sound just a little bit muddy.)

Importantly, neither of those sets sounds like the JB & 59, so you'll be getting some variety.

All that said, my top pick for high-gain playing with a decent split sound is an active set, the EMG 89X and/or 89XR. (They're the same pickup, the R is just spun around by 180° so its split coil is closer to the neck for a warmer split sound.) They are made by taking the EMG SA Strat pickup and duplicating the top coil to one side, so unlike most humbuckers (including the other EMG splittable humbuckers like the 81TW), the coils are designed for the single coil sound primarily. This means the split tone is a perfect Strat tone and the humbucker tone is clearer and more balanced than most hot humbuckers. (EMG say it is similar to their 85, but I think they do this only to illustrate that it's an alcnio humbucker rather than their more famous ceramic tone; it's actually not much like the 85 at all.) That extra clarity, again like the two passive sets I mentioned, make it really good for 80s tones when you want to get the gain cranked but you don't want the low end booming out.
The 'X' version means the preamp is more power-effecient (giving you the old '18v mod' sound without the need for a second battery) and that the minimum gain has been lowered, giving a more dynamic tone. In most cases the difference between EMG X and other active pickups is not very great, but with the 89/89R it actually makes a gigantic difference, since the coils aren't overwound monsters like other active humbuckers have and they can really benefit from the changes to the preamp. Some people find the very idea of ever touching an active pickup scary, but in a blind test you'd never be able to tell that the 89X/89XR wasn't passive, both in humbucker and split modes. Certainly compared to the JB, the 89X is a more dynamic pickup. (Compared to the '59, it's pretty even.)
As a proper 1980s bonus, if you use an 89XR for the bridge and 89X for the neck, the middle split tone sounds very much like a Strat bridge+middle position, for the signature chorus-heavy clean tones of the 80s. (Putting the pickups the other way around results in a Tele-like middle tone.)

All three sets put less magnetic pull on the strings than most A5 or ceramic humbuckers, so you get a little more sustain with smoother drop-off than the compressed sound of things like the JB. I've always found that's important for the 80s tone, and especially vital for a good split sound.

If the "and earlier" means a lot to you then I'd suggest a Seymour Duncan Custom (plain Custom, not Custom 5 or Custom Custom) for the bridge—a fairly standard hot PAF sound that is good for any kind of rock or metal from the 70s to now—and a Jazz for the neck, which is just a bit smoother than the more specifically-80s neck choices. Both split pretty well, not quite as nicely as any of the above sets, but still better than the JB and 59. So, the other three are my pickups for pure 80s, while the Custom and Jazz aren't quite so good for the big hair stuff but are better for the surrounding 70s (or early 90s) tones.

rauchman said:
The TB's are very clear to begin with.  I'm no 8th degree wizard of sound geekiness, but the A4 magnets sound beautiful, very clear, expressive and articulate.  This also carries over when they are split.

The Aaron said:
Dude......Suhr Doug Aldrich will end your quest. 80's tone forever, and they split great. You can get typically get an uncovered pair for $205.

Those Suhrs are slightly out of my price range and hard to find for me in Canada. Only a few dealers up here :( I did give them both the listen that your recommendations deserve and they are great options! They each had a slightly different thing going on and both would have made my short-list if they were a more economical/easier option for me. I really liked their sound.

Thanks guys.

Ace Flibble said:
I'd offer up the Seymour Duncan Full Shred set for "lots of hair" 80s rock with a good split. The Full Shred bridge is a Custom 5 with short hex poles instead of the usual full length screws and slugs, which results in a tighter, sharper feel than the soft PAF vibe of the Custom 5, and reduces the bass so your plain strings don't get drowned out and the wound strings don't get muddy, as is the case with so many overwound alnico 5 pickups. The neck model is similar to a Jazz but, again, has shortened hex poles for even more clarity than the Jazz has. Importantly, the snappier tone makes them split really well, giving you a sound much closer to a Strat single coil than most humbuckers, especially in any kind of warmer-toned guitar where most humbuckers' split sounds end up closer to something like a P-90 than a Strat or Tele sound. I think the name is a bit misleading as I find the clarity of this set makes them just as good for rhythm as they are for lead and overall they're one of, if not the, most versatile passive humbucker pairs I've come across.

DiMarzio Evo 2 (bridge) and PAF Pro (neck) would be my second pick for passives. Again, they're clearer than most overwound humbuckers, still with enough power to push a valve amp but not so hotly-wound that the low notes get muddy. Compared to the Duncan Full Shred, the PAF Pro is a bit thicker than the Full Shred with a throaty lower-mid hump, while the Evo 2 has an even tighter low end and a bit more power than the Full Shred thanks to the ceramic magnet. The PAF Pro splits well to either coil; the Evo 2 split is a touch flat, so always split it to the neck-facing coil to get a bit more life out of it. I like the DiMarzio set for brighter-tone guitars where the extra depth of the PAF Pro and slightly higher power of the Evo 2 prevent the tone from sounding weak, which can be a problem with the Duncan Full Shred. (Or, conversely, the Full Shred fits warm-toned guitars where the DiMarzio set can start to sound just a little bit muddy.)

All three sets put less magnetic pull on the strings than most A5 or ceramic humbuckers, so you get a little more sustain with smoother drop-off than the compressed sound of things like the JB. I've always found that's important for the 80s tone, and especially vital for a good split sound.

If the "and earlier" means a lot to you then I'd suggest a Seymour Duncan Custom (plain Custom, not Custom 5 or Custom Custom) for the bridge—a fairly standard hot PAF sound that is good for any kind of rock or metal from the 70s to now—and a Jazz for the neck, which is just a bit smoother than the more specifically-80s neck choices. Both split pretty well, not quite as nicely as any of the above sets, but still better than the JB and 59. So, the other three are my pickups for pure 80s, while the Custom and Jazz aren't quite so good for the big hair stuff but are better for the surrounding 70s (or early 90s) tones.

I looked into the Full Shred a few months ago now. I didn't particularly dislike it, it sounded good, but there was something that put me off from it... can't remember what but I will give it another listen!

I listened to a few Duncan Custom demos yesterday actually and though it sounded awesome! It did sound a little too modern (in the way it compresses? If that makes sense? Not a pickup expert) than what I'm going for. I did think that it would make a great bridge pickup if I ever put a new pickup in my LTD EC though.

I haven't looked into the Evo 2 but certainly will. The PAF Pro has my interest however. It does the 70's rock very well and sounds like it has potential for more 80's metal in the bridge position, but find that there aren't that many decent videos online that show that pickup. Is it just more of a neck pickup perhaps? It did sound great in the videos where it was being used as such. Looking forward to checking out the Evo 2, sounds like this could be a great combo for what I'm after!

Thanks!

Going to check out the pickups recommended and going to look more into the Super Distortion. I've heard it used for higher gain but curious, if it sounds good at lower output it may also be something to consider. I do love the EVH Frankenstein btw! Very similar to what I'm after, to my ears. Kinda pricey and doesn't split however!

Thanks again for the suggestions, onward to the next YouTube video...

I liked what I just heard from Full Shred. But what I really want next is a Super Distortion machine. Cause Carlisi...

Does anyone have experience with the Screamin' Demon? Medium output, seems to fit the bill.

Maybe a bit too bright for a roasted alder body, maple cap, roasted maple neck guitar?

Edit - Hmmm just realized that pickups are cheaper on eBay than through standard retailers, and even the US eBay shops offer free shipping to Canada. Those Suhrs may still be in the mix afterall.

Figured I'd piggyback on this topic instead of making a new one...

As mentioned above, doing an HH strat. 1 11/16" nut width with a Wilkinson WVS1302P which has a 10.8mm string spacing. Doing uncovered pickups. Do I need humbuckers, trembuckers, f spaced?

justsomeguy1 said:
...As mentioned above, doing an HH strat. 1 11/16" nut width with a Wilkinson WVS1302P which has a 10.8mm string spacing. Doing uncovered pickups. Do I need humbuckers, trembuckers, f spaced?

You don't need but it's preferable, if you have the choice  get trembuckers (f spaced) pickups.

The Aldrich model was done with LPs in mind since Doug is playing a Les Paul 90%. I like Suhr pickups and recommend them, I haven't played with the Aldrich but I have played with others and all were great.

I had the JB and I was impressed how good the splitting sound was. I had it wired with 300k volume - 250k tone so not the typical 500k you usually put on HB's.

Back