Suggestions for Metal Guitar

smexycody

Hey everyone i just have no clue on what type of wood to get. i have dimarzio d-activator pickups, schaller floyd rose, 24 fret rosewood neck, and now i just need a body. I'm going to order the Soloist flat top body and i just need some suggestions.
thanks

I would use Basswood (if you are going for a solid color)
the best (and most) metal guitars have been made of Basswood in the last 25 years!

If you play mostly hi-gain then your body wood doesn't matter much.  Are you going with a solid color?

im not sure about color right now, but probably solid black or white. so far northern hard ash wood looks good for me. what do you guys think of that?
sorry for being so vague.
Edit-Basswood looks good also, but then ill have to order a color.

If you are targeting I high-gain shread machine, I would second the Basswood suggestion.

Having said that, Ash would likely work fine as well - most of your tone would be coming from the pickups and amp, with a small part coming from the neck.  Only a tiny tiny part of your tone is dependent on body wood.

I'd say get Ash if it floats your boat - but go for the wenge/ebony combo for the neck  :headbang1:

bass wood, alder make good bodies if painted....KORINA and Mahogany rule and look great too.

Alder also looks good stained if you get a decent piece.

yea i think ill go with basswood and get it painted. does black solid look better than it does in the picture?

or you could get a basswood body with a fancy laminate top for not much extra and get a transparent finish!

for about 75$ more you can get a nice flame/quilted maple top or walnut, wenge, rosewood if you like darker woods.

* you deleted your post.. now I look retarded  :icon_biggrin:

haha yea sorry, i figured it out  :headbang:
but i just ordered it.

Flat top Soloist
Basswood body
contoured heel
recessed schaller floyd rose
H x H pickup routing with 24 fret reposition
gloss black

if you are gonna paint a solid color over it, just save your money and get a poplar body, cuz the wood isn't gonna make a spit-in-the-river's difference in the tone when you play hi-gain.

I would like to see a shell pink shredder, but I doubt that's something that you'd want to do.

rockskate4x said:
if you are gonna paint a solid color over it, just save your money and get a poplar body, cuz the wood isn't gonna make a spit-in-the-river's difference in the tone when you play hi-gain.

I think this is a common misconception / myth.

boaty said:
rockskate4x said:

Yes it is, body wood is very important to tone, clean or high gain. Those who cannot hear a difference are happy and richer!

boaty said:
rockskate4x said:

NOT a misconception/myth... If you're playing through a typical "metal" effects chain,  ANY minor subtlety in the difference - and it IS very minor - is going to be completely lost, if you're talking a solid body. Given the same pickups/electronics, you could make the body out of plywood...

Plywood...Really?  Is this being said only because the application is Metal?
Meh, whatever...

As fans of a company that offers so many choices...it's more than a bit misguided to state that something as fundamental as body wood will make NO appreciable difference. Is that not the point of so many varied offerings? Because it makes a difference? For that matter, why then do so many of the board members choose to build with exotic woods? Is it for their tonal qualities....or is it because they are attractive?

I'm not being sarcastic on that...really...WHY pay extra for a special wood unless it MAKES A DIFFERENCE...and if it makes a difference then it makes a difference to the way that instrument sounds, no matter what genre it's being used for. Unless you feel different body woods are offered just for good looks. 

Of COURSE electronics are going to be a vital part of the sound as well...but...let me put it this way...you can wear my shoes, but I'm still faster than you!

Oh...and the gloss black finish on my solid Koa Gecko is black as nightmare! Shiny and unyielding!
OP, You've chosen wisely.

MUYFUE said:
Oh...and the gloss black finish on my solid Koa Gecko is black as nightmare! Shiny and unyielding!
OP, You've chosen wisely.
Oh, I almost forgot about that....  :tard:

:laughing7:

The whole subject of body wood / tone influence is like one of those nightmares where you keep running but you're always back where you started.

Back