Suggestions for Metal Guitar

tfarny said:
The whole subject of body wood / tone influence is like one of those nightmares where you keep running but you're always back where you started.
image-10-0-treadmill.jpg

jackthehack said:
boaty said:
rockskate4x said:
if you are gonna paint a solid color over it, just save your money and get a poplar body, cuz the wood isn't gonna make a spit-in-the-river's difference in the tone when you play hi-gain.

I think this is a common misconception / myth.

NOT a misconception/myth... If you're playing through a typical "metal" effects chain,  ANY minor subtlety in the difference - and it IS very minor - is going to be completely lost, if you're talking a solid body. Given the same pickups/electronics, you could make the body out of plywood...

I don't think your audience will hear the difference, but I still can.  Some woods will have a rounder low end, some woods will have harsher highs, etc.

"NOT a misconception/myth... If you're playing through a typical "metal" effects chain,  ANY minor subtlety in the difference - and it IS very minor - is going to be completely lost, if you're talking a solid body. Given the same pickups/electronics, you could make the body out of plywood..."

100% myth. And if i can get some clips posted this week, I will. Will be doing some recordings tonite. I've been using a 100 watt AOR head for over 20 yrs, and body wood makes a HUGE difference-regardless of gain/pickups/fx-UNLESS you are going to extremes,and saturating everything in a signal processed/Vai -type thing. (I dont,I go GTR>AMP>SPKRS-maybe some occasional wah. )

Among the guitars that will be used tonite-
MK Patriot Q- (Mahoganyset neck/Mahog body/Maple cap, Rockfield PAF pros)
B.C. Rich USA ST-III (Maple neck/Alder body/Di Marzios)
Fender Yngwie signature strat -(Alder/Di Marzio YJMs)
Tradition ST-type= (Basswood body/Tradition H.Bs)
Gibson Zakk model -(Mahog/Maple neck -EMG 81/85)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird USA- (Maple N/T/ Mahog body,Di Marzios)
Home built strat- (Maple neck, Poplar body, GFS singles)
80's Kramer -(model yet to be determined)

I can assure you,the tone differences between each and every one of those are significant -even at very high gain settings. (i dont do clean/low-gain).

And I can vouch for the above-poster's basswood comment- avoid like the plauge,if you're putting a Floyd on it. I;ve had Floyd's come right off in my hand,when the posts stripped right out of basswood bodies.THATS no myth. (embarassing as hell,too when right in the middle of a solo in front of a lot of folks...)

Back