Suggestions for first build

ThreeEvening

Any suggestions for my first Warmoth build? I like Fenders and have a Squier Strat and a Fender Jag, Teles are looking good but maybe something more esoteric too.

I start by deciding what pickups I want to have and go from there. For example, I don't have a P-90 guitar, so my next one will have two of those. It will probably be a Strat type body, because although I like Teles, they can have neck-dive. But things like shape, wood type, and finish are just details, so I go with something a little different from what I already have. I'm a big fan of stainless steel frets, so those are a must.

Welcome to the board, ThreeEvening!

Build a Strat with a humbucker at the bridge, and noiseless single coils at neck & middle.
Choose the neck profile you like best and enjoy.

I start by deciding what pickups I want to have and go from there. For example, I don't have a P-90 guitar, so my next one will have two of those.
I'm also leaning towards P-90s, partially inspired by Chris Shiflett's Tele. Should I keep updating here when I start the build or move it to a new thread?

Edit: turns out I can rename the thread so I'll keep it here haha.

I've been looking through options, anyone know if I can use a normal Tele body and pickguard with P-90 pickups? I like the look of that pickguard better than a Deluxe. Also, would a F-Hole pickguard fit a normal Tele body with the P-90 pickups?

Edit: Never mind the F-Hole part

I guess the Imgur imbed is wonky these days.

To answer you other question, the P90 will work with the traditional pickguards and will look great IMO.

Part of the mystic about a Tele is that bridge pup sitting in that hunk of metal bridge. Think on Tele bridge pup and P90 neck pup.
Having both, I find more advantage to the Tele bridge pup.

I'm also leaning towards P-90s, partially inspired by Chris Shiflett's Tele. Should I keep updating here when I start the build or move it to a new thread?

Edit: turns out I can rename the thread so I'll keep it here haha.
Recommend starting a new build thread. That way, readers can get right to the build instead of scrolling through this conversation where you're still trying to decide.

I’ve considered a neck P-90 and bridge humbucker but I’ve got a bridge humbucker in my Jag and it fulfills that purpose. I’m not necessarily looking for a traditional guitar, if I was I’d buy a Squier. I like the idea that I’ll have something that’s almost completely unique among other instruments, hence the custom route.

How about a Jazzmaster with a Floyd Rose, an HSS EMG set and a reverse CBS headstock scalloped neck. That would be somewhat esoteric, especially in Grafiti Yellow or Metallic Dragon Burst.

That would be cool, however I have the HS layout in my Jag and I don’t see much need for the EMGs and another offset in my collection. Graffiti Yellow is a great color and I’m leaning towards a reverse Warhead neck though!

I might use a half pickguard, I couldn't find a good picture of one to see how it looked on the guitar though.

You need the headstock to match the body color. And an f-hole telepickguard would look great.

Back