Stratamania's Photobucket Broken Links report thread

stratamania

Mythical Status
Hey, folks, I thought I would make a quick thread for as the title says. Photobucket Broken Links report thread.

Like others, I am less than impressed with the Photobucket 3rd party hosting block images ransom approach to accessing my own photographs.  Especially when I discovered that after a while the block was even on the photos on their own ad-ridden site and if you downloaded the thing you also got an image of the block... (No one has an issue with a few ads to support a free service but it is over the top and the sudden block is too much)

Personally, I have moved to Flickr, and I have spent quite some time finding my original images on my own local disks and uploaded and replaced all of the links in the three build threads in my signature. If you have not read them check them out as there is a lot of useful information there.

These build threads were partly as a diary and partly for information for others. They almost took as long to do as the guitar builds themselves which is why I have updated them with new links to the photos.

TL;DR Please let me know if there are any broken links or blocked images in any of my threads or posts so that I can fix them. Just add a link to the thread below.

Many thanks.

Really awesome of you to do this.
Didn't they realize that we were building an encyclopedia?

Zebra said:
Really awesome of you to do this.
Didn't they realize that we were building an encyclopedia?

Thank you...

Fortunately, I had some time available to do it. I know I have not got all of them yet but the important larger threads are done. Then there are a couple of other forums.

Actually feel free to use this thread to report any broken links to those active on the forum who may want to fix them.

A useful tip, if you have a thread with a link to a photo hosted on Photobucket, even if you delete your Photobucket account which I have now done those links will still be there.

So let's say in the link towards the end it says "mycoolguitar1.jpg" or similar you can use that to do a search on your computer for that photo and locate any others of that series.

One thing I have noticed on uploading to Flickr is that "mycoolguitar1.jpg" will get renamed as a file to an alphanumerical name, probably to preserve the uniqueness of filenames on Flickr, however, the name is preserved as a descriptive name or you can change it to something you want.

Always have local copies of your stuff if you can.

stratamania said:
...One thing I have noticed on uploading to Flickr is that "mycoolguitar1.jpg" will get renamed as a file to an alphanumerical name, probably to preserve the uniqueness of filenames on Flickr, however, the name is preserved as a descriptive name or you can change it to something you want...

imgur is much the same in this regard. You can still see the filenames as uploaded when you view your images on the imgur site (and add 'titles' and descriptions if you want), but the actual image urls are changed to tiny.url style ones and you can't change them.

Tomatonator said:
Here's one:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=23713.0

Good spot thanks.

I am traveling at the moment so will attend to it as soon as I can.

Back