Strat pickups in Tele body

Caisa

Hi, is there anyone who tryed a Strat set in a Tele body like the Fender Custom?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1361501.gc

Do you think it will sound like a Strat or is there a little bit Tele left?

I think it will sound 90% like a strat.

I had the same idea (almost) last year and ordered a W body with a tele bridge and strat middle/neck routing. If I don't manage to sell it it will turn into a beautiful guitar in a few years. I prefer the tele bridge pickup, it's meatier and more versatile.

Good thing about W you can do anything you want without the Fender's CS prices and it will be your creation, not a master builders!

Well, looks cool. I would try a set of 3 strat single coils (WCR Set) in a hollowed alder Tele body with maple neck and Wilkinson trem. I hope it will nearly sound like a Stratocaster, I only did not like the Strat shaping.

I heard of tele bridge pups somewhere that are strat coil sized... so if you want, you can just drop one of those in the bridge position of a strat and you get a lot more tele tone that way, if that's what your into.

rockskate4x said:
I heard of tele bridge pups somewhere that are strat coil sized... so if you want, you can just drop one of those in the bridge position of a strat and you get a lot more tele tone that way, if that's what your into.
I believe you're thinking of Rio Grande's Stelly  :icon_thumright:

definitely right about stelly, but I'm pretty sure that there were some other pups like this... anyone else hear of these?

most of a tele's signature tone comes from that bridge pup... you have to have that pickup if you still want tele sounds...

I'm telling you guys, I never liked teles before I was on this board, but they are beginning to grow on me...

You do not get me right, I want to be as close to a strats sound as possible, thats why I will not use a tele bridge pup.
The only thing of this guitar that reminds you on a tele is the body shape and the neck. But I am not shure in what way it will take influence on the sound to use a Tele body and neck instead of Strat body and neck.

If you really want a stratty sounding tele...

Yeah. It's as easy as doing strat electronics. Teles and strats have the same woods in them generally, and if you're brave and skilled, you could probably cram the strat electronics in the tele cavity. You'll need to drill another hole for the middle pot, though.

Hi Max, I already have a hollowed alder tele body with a HxH routing, Wilkinson trem and Strat style pots, so the only thing I have to do is drill a hole for the 5 way switch and modify the pickup routing. btw any ideas how I can do that?

master vol, master tone, and five way switch fit nicely on a tele plate, which I think works well for a strat configuration...

Why mod a tele body? Just ask for strat pickup routs and get a strat flatmount bridge instead of the tele bridge, and your set!

Another way is to cut off the Strat's upper horn and leave everything intact  :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OUCH... loose the strat pick guard, and then I can sleep at night knowing that you don't want a FUGLY guitar...

Some of you don't get me right (maybe because of my exceptional english writing/ Sorry I am from Germany and mylast english lessen is far far away... :icon_biggrin:)

I already have that Tele Body from Warmoth. It is hollowed alder, wit HxH routing and Strat configufartion. Thats why I have to modify the routig of the pickup config that it fits with the 3 single coils. Any ideas how I can do that the best? Maybe with a router and a little template?

So the picture Unwound G posted is close to what I want, but the pickguard I like more like this:

stewart macdonald sells good pickup rout templates... I'd start there... I don't know if a strat pickguard is a good fit on a telecaster body though...

Back