Steve Vai's Woody

[youtube]HbInCbK4Awc[/youtube]

Mind you he makes Rickenbackers sound like Les Pauls, but at least you get a good look at it

Yeah - some of the JEMs are really far-out, some of the JEMs should be really far-out... in a dumpster lol.

I always liked Steve, I think he always has a good message even if he is sometimes oblivious of himself.

Well of course Steve is gonna get the hand made ones, the good ones. But the average ones you and I can buy, aren't so special..

weezingthejuicebodhi said:
I always liked Steve, I think he always has a good message even if he is sometimes oblivious of himself.

I think that may be the best description of Steve Vai I've ever heard  :laughing3:

I was afraid to look at this thread.

Steve is a really good storyteller, in addition to the obvious.  Humble.

Cagey said:
Well, he has so much to be humble about... :laughing7:
Yah, but he's no Alien...
th

He may not be an Alien, but he has been called a Little Italian Virtuoso by some...
5277973734_b530903d3c_z.jpg

It's worth noting in this context that Steve Vai actually took lessons from Satch!

Verne Bunsen said:
He may not be an Alien, but he has been called a Little Italian Virtuoso by some...
5277973734_b530903d3c_z.jpg

It's worth noting in this context that Steve Vai actually took lessons from Satch!
Yes, I'm aware he took lessons from Satch, it was a joke, and that was the joke... :icon_biggrin:

Nice looking hand made one by the way. But I'm not fond of the Prestige one.

From the title of this thread, I expected the Wurst.

:toothy11:(This reply brought to you by Budweiser beer).

But seriusly folks, this thread inspired me to buy Stev Vai's live in LA, which might be the background music in the video( that or his in Minneapolis recording). Just incerdible for that style.

DangerousR6 said:
Yes, I'm aware he took lessons from Satch, it was a joke, and that was the joke... :icon_biggrin:

Ah, yes, well, very good! :toothy11: Some days my sense of humor is set to "Lieutenant Commander Data"...

arealken said:
From the title of this thread, I expected the Wurst.

:toothy11:(This reply brought to you by Budweiser beer).

But seriusly folks, this thread inspired me to buy Stev Vai's live in LA, which might be the background music in the video( that or his in Minneapolis recording). Just incerdible for that style.

HA! 

I'll have to check that out. I've had a tough time with a lot of his material; the stuff I like I like a lot but some of it I just can't get. Or haven't in the past. Time for another try maybe.

I've had similar problems. Uber-techno-proficeincy and seizure-inducing staccato speed are fine in small doses, but it doesn't take much of that to get to where it just doesn't sound very musical.  I have the same issues with Yngwie Malmsteen. Mind-boggling capabilities, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Gorgeous guitar. Of course Warmoth's CNC can carve one out just as good as those luthiers can by hand. I never understood the hype of the whole "hand-made" thing. It doesn't make the guitar sound any better.  On another note; I'm surprised the frets were not PLEK'd .

Street Avenger said:
On another note; I'm surprised the frets were not PLEK'd .

PLEKing is not the "ultimate" fret job, it's simply the fastest and most consistent method, if you can afford the machine and will be doing multiples of the same type instrument. A skilled luthier/tech can do an arguably better job, although it will take longer and will cost more if you don't factor in tool amortization. Since you can't ignore the cost of the machine, the end result is the PLEK job costs more, so people just assume it does a better job.

Go check out some new Gibsons that have been PLEK'd, and compare them to what you'd do yourself. They do a nice job - don't get me wrong - but you won't feel threatened. There's nothing outstanding about it. It's just more than what most manufacturers do, which is usually somewhere near nothing.

Back