Starting out virtual

ActualGenuine

I've got an order in at Warmoth but need to wait until they can get back to work, so I've been mocking up the next project.

It's a VIP body, black korina with a unique choice black korina lam top and black binding. The neck is quarter sawn maple, with a black ebony fretboard, reverse right-handed Warhead, with creme dot inlays. I thought for a long time about going with no inlays at all, but thought the creme dots on the black board would fit better with the overall theme.

I'm going with black hardware, a TOM/STP bridge, PRS style controls (V/T toggle) and two Fishman open core humbuckers in zebra pattern with creme surrounds.

Using an actual picture of my unique choice top, here's the mocked-up plan:

Attachments

• MockUp.png
    MockUp.png
    240.8 KB · Views: 43
I'm really undecided on the zebra/creme. What do you think?

My original thought (as it is in many guitars) was all black, but I saw a really nice black Les Paul with creme rings on zebras and ... well. That's what I'm planning.

Am I nuts?

ActualGenuine said:
I'm really undecided on the zebra/creme. What do you think?

My original thought (as it is in many guitars) was all black, but I saw a really nice black Les Paul with creme rings on zebras and ... well. That's what I'm planning.
I would probably look for cream buttons on black tuners to tie it all together.

ActualGenuine said:
Am I nuts?
Possibly. Does that make any difference to anyone? You fit right in here.  :icon_biggrin:

black korina would look much darker with clear coat on it than the photo . I got one black korina body with black PU and it look great for me .

so I think creme rings is OK , just with  zebras will takes too much attention from beautiful body . so I suggest  black PU .

you can look for other black korina build for inspiration.

I agree with Hendrix, maybe if you can help yourself, wait until you can get the body :laughing7: See how dark it is then go from there? For what it's worth, I like the creme rings but not the zebra covers. If it were me I'd just go the covered Fishmans, but that's me. It's your guitar! Really like the reverse Warhead though.

Thanks for the replies. I know it'll darken some (I'm going to go with a light tung oil finish and a TruOil top coat, in all likelihood), I'll have to see by how much.

I'm not normally a fan of reverse headstocks but wanted one on this guitar to increase the tension on the lower strings than on the higher. I'm not sure it actually makes that big of a difference to the player, depending on string gauge, but wanted physics on my side.

The zebra pickups I already own and it's not likely I'll pay to replace them unless I can find another home. The great part about the Fishmans though (like EMG) is that they're super easy to replace since they just plug in. So, if I end up hating it or wanting to switch to all black or all creme open core, I can easily do so.

I did also consider chrome covers (and black covers) as well, but like I said, these are the pickups I happen to have on hand.

Can't wait to get the parts.

To me the cream rings don't really match because you have black binding.  IMO black or chrome rings would be better, but they are easy to change.    I think zebras are cool, just not with the cream rings on this guitar.

Is there a tool everyone is using on the warmoth site that enables you to mockup the entire guitar? I keep seeing the same sideways grey background pics. Thanks!

I just used some graphics programs I have. Transparent masks, cut and paste, etc.

The grey background is the default grey from the Warmoth tools for build your own or examining a unique choice top.

Back