Standard Thin and Wizard fretboards - how wide?

mscmkr

Hi guys
Does anybody know if the Standard Thin and the Wizard fretboards follow the 12th fret width of Fender and Ibanez respectively?

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=heel

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=stringnut

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles

Hopefully that will provide the info that you're looking for.  I know it may seem like a lot of info, but more is better than not enough.

The links provided give you the thickness at the 12th fret. Now you need to go and find out how thick the Fender/Ibanez neck you're thinking of is.

juliancs said:
The links provided give you the thickness at the 12th fret. Now you need to go and find out how thick the Fender/Ibanez neck you're thinking of is.
Excellent! But do you think this helps answering my question in some way? BTW my original question as can be seen on the title of this thread was "Standard Thin and Wizard fretboards - how wide?"  :icon_tongue: :blob7:

BTW thanks Orpheo - this is a clue - but only a clue...

mscmkr said:
juliancs said:
Excellent! But do you think this helps answering my question in some way? BTW my original question as can be seen on the title of this thread was "Standard Thin and Wizard fretboards - how wide?"  :icon_tongue: :blob7:

BTW thanks Orpheo - this is a clue - but only a clue...

If you get the standard nut width, I would imagine it would be pretty dang close to Fender's 12th fret width.  If you go wider/narrower at the nut, it will increase/decrease the width at the 12th fret by a few millimeters.

Just to clarify, standard thin, wizard, boatneck, etc all refer to the thickness of the neck, not the width.

Dude nobody here knows.  Rather than giving us 'tude, call Warmoth and they can go measure it for you.

@dbw
I am not giving anybody " 'tude". Just returning some.

@DocNrock
I know what the descriptions are referring to, however, they are the only distinction I can make between the necks that I like.

ALL warmoth necks have a fender heel, they have several nut widths whack are available with your choice of back contour, back contour has nothing to do with the width of the fret board so the fact you asked in reference to that may have thrown some people off.
if you get a stock fender nut width then it must have the same with at the 12th fret as a fender, 1-5/8" for vintage, 1-11/16" for USA and other models can be either/or.
the neck has a constant taper, it is simple math/geometry.

now i don't know if ibanez has the same width at the heel as fender but i'll assume it's close so you'll want a similar nut width as an ibanez, now ibanez has more than one nut width so what model ibanez are you talking about? ibanez is measured in metric so you'll need to just get the closest one. i think the narrower ibanez nuts are closer to 1-11/16 and the wider are just under 1-3/4. 

Thanks very much Dimitri.
I was thinking about some of these things also.
So it seems that the nut is the only piece of info I can work on (except from bothering Warmoth which I don't want to do as I am still contemplating things). The question is what happens when you mix a trem bridge into the equation E.g. Wilkinson even if you use with the widest nut possible, and how much space you get left with, say on a Strat neck.
The reason I am asking is that I have similar experience with an Edge trem on a strat and I want to avoid it.
Thanks again.

ok i get why you're asking.

ok since the heel does not change in width unless you get the super wide neck which is just a bit silly, the strings get closer to the edge with a wider nut. if you want extra clearence you'll need to use a narrower string spacing. now for more clearance than that you can get a wide nut with narrow string spacing which you'll probably need to DIY or take to a luthier. now that i think of it the ibanez probably has a wider heel.

the biggest porblem seems to be with a vintage fender trem. they were just a tad wider than the modern trems out there and don't work well with a string spacing for a nut over 1-5/8"

I'm sorry you took my response as "attitude". Was only trying to help.

Good luck with your build.

I have an ibanez jem 555 and both the 1 11/16th nut and standard thin neck on my warmoth are wider and thicker than the ibanez.  The standard thin neck thickness is close however to the jem, and I'm glad I didn't go with the wizard as that would have been super thin.

erik

juliancs said:
I'm sorry you took my response as "attitude". Was only trying to help.

Good luck with your build.

Since you are saying so and I have no reason not to believe you, I apologize for my response. Thank you for your trying to help and your wishes. Sorry again.

@taez555
is the neck on the 555 same as in the other jems?

@dimitri
yes, the unchanging heel is the root of all evil I presume...

mscmkr said:
@taez555
is the neck on the 555 same as in the other jems?

It's close to the newer ones. I believe their are actually several different jem necks anyway.  The original Jem777's were closer to the wizard, or the necks on the RG550's, vs the newer 7V's which were thicker.  They've changed a lot over the years. The Jem necks have never been as thin as the RG though.

erik

Go ahead and bug 'em, they get paid to tell you about guitar parts for crying out loud.  :laughing7:

Back