Stainless steel frets

I have slight grooves in the seven-string I built three years ago, with Warmoth 6105 SS frets. It'll be another two years before I need to do a level, but SS frets do wear. The only way they wouldn't, is if you don't play very much. In that case, nickel frets don't wear either. :laughing7: If I'm playing only one guitar, with nickel frets, I have to level them every year. Sometimes one guitar will assume the position of "main" and receive a lion's share of the playing time. Many years back, I noticed that great guitarists (as opposed to rock stars) usually picked out ONE guitar and learned the intricacies of it's tones, rather than switching all the time - and it works! Those guys who play 12 guitars per concert? FASHION MAVENS..... :icon_scratch:
I average about four hours playing a day on guitar, seven or eight hours total counting pedal steel, bass & paperwork. :party07:

I have the impression that there are two brands of stainless frets out there, but I don't know the original manufacturers... the SS frets on a tele neck I got from USA Custom seem to me to be harder, so far. But they needed to be polished, right out of the box - unlike the Warmoth, which only needed the ends hotdogged. (I don't mind....)
If the fret manufacturers really wanted to, they could make frets out of stainless tool steel hardened to Rockwell 65, you couldn't bend 'em, you couldn't work em and they'd kill your strings - but they wouldn't wear.  :hello2:

stubhead said:
I average about four hours playing a day on guitar, seven or eight hours total counting pedal steel, bass & paperwork. :party07:

I

I wish I had that kind of time.

That is a lot of time, is that practice time or work? Interesting insights into the whole SS fret business.

I (sometimes) play in a band or three, teach students, and work pretty hard on learning from different areas - it's an bottomless pit, for sure. I've pared my "real" work down to about 25 -30 hours a week... I decided I liked music more than other things, mostly (I've tried 'em all, trust me). I don't have my TV hooked to anything but a DVD player, I don't like Hollywood movies, I do read quite a bit though & stay politically involved. There's a LOT of time in the day if you lose the...
5 hours a day the average adult American watches TV.  :eek: :icon_scratch: :icon_tongue:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/24/us.video.nielsen/

Ever see somebody who's television has fritzed? They go insane with "boredom", cause they can't sit motionless in front of a box for five hours being, ummm, not bored. When the pod-thingies crawl out of the wreckage in one million A.D. and write "The Decline and Fall of the American Empire" - television will be central. Excuse me - make that...

5 FRIGGIN' hours a day the average adult American watches TV.  :eek: :icon_scratch: :icon_tongue: It's so goddam dumb, and insulting - the writers and producers are absolutely contemptuous of their audience, "Oh, these morons will watch anything!" - and of course, they're right. Next time you're in a room with somebody watching TV and they say "Look at this crap! Can you believe they'd put anything so dumb on TV?" get up and turn it off, and see what happens. Drooling, hideous strung-out junkies, all.

stubhead said:
5 FRIGGIN' hours a day the average adult American watches TV.
I generally watch less than that a week...
My guitar is in the same room as the TV, along with my laptop and all. The TV is off most of the time.

Max said:
My guitar is in the same room as the TV, along with my laptop and all. The TV is off most of the time.
Same here.  I watch about two to three hours a week, and that's usually sports.  Some other poor saps must be compensating to get up to a thirty five per week average.  :laughing7:

Blue313 said:
Max said:
Same here.  I watch about two to three hours a week, and that's usually sports.  Some other poor saps must be compensating to get up to a thirty five per week average.  :laughing7:

I think that this time of year they call that "Sunday".

Back