stainless steel frets are smaller...??

brownsound79

i found that stainless steel frets (SS6105-jumbo) are quite small.. comparing to my standard Gibson (med-jumbo)..  now where is the 'jumbo'..?

guess i'll need to order another neck..

i also have the 6105 SS frets, and in no way would I consider them jumbo, I like them just fine, but they're not jumbo in my book. Medium is what I'd call em

???? Read the specs, SS 6105 frets are .006 wider and .002 taller, if you can see or feel a difference from the nickel 6105s, you should quit your day job and get a gig as a micrometer.

If you want something more like the Gibson frets you're used to, order the 6130s - sorry no stainless steel - they're a bit wider, but lower enough to notice. (.106 x .036)

brownsound79 said:
i found that stainless steel frets (SS6105-jumbo) are quite small.. comparing to my standard Gibson (med-jumbo)..  now where is the 'jumbo'..?

I don't know what you want us to say... my SS 6105 frets are the jumbo-est I own!  If you want bigger frets, order bigger frets next time.  :)  This is the beauty of Warmoth.

I think this shows - the name means nothing - jumbo, medium fluffo, jumbo jrs, and the vererable "esmarelda" frets.....

Even the sizes... are more or less nominal.  The sizes of the frets are there on the web page.

One thing for sure - your hand and fingers can tell the difference in just a few thousandths of an inch change in height.  The difference between playing on .042 tall vs .048 tall frets... oh yah, you can feel it. 

brownsound79 said:

I'm not an expert with frets. The SS6105 on my Warmoth's are definitely taller than the med-jumbo of my Gisbon SG.

I have to say I love SS frets and I would never consider not having them in a guitar but W does not give many choices. It's time for W to offer all the fret sizes in stainless version because the SS selection is limited. Also to make bound necks with SS frets.

I don't know about small.  My SS6105's feel like they're scalloped compared to my Ibanez Jem or Wasburn N4, both of which I believed prior to my warmoth purchase were jumbo.

As for the sounding bright ed roman myth, gotta say.... not a chance.  My other guitars are all far brighter with the nickel frets.  Woods, pickups, nuts, bridges all contribute to the sound and the frets are just a tiny part of that.

erik

6105s are not "Jumbo".  The 6150 is Jumbo (I like to say "medium-jumbo"), and 6100s and 6000s are Extra-Jumbo.

I have SS 6150s on my Warmoth, and they don't appear to be any smaller than the standard nickle 6150s on two other guitars I have.

brownsound79 said:

You know, I had the same thought when I first received my W neck. I even posted about it here ( http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=11750.0 )
in the forums, to which others agreed. I was upset about my fretboard too at the time... but I love it now, and am sooo glad I got what I got!

The consensus was that somehow, the SS frets mess with the light so that to the naked eye they do appear relatively small (and "smaller"
than what I expected them to be) - but, if you whip out a caliper - they are a decent (and correct) in size. Looking back, to get what I thought
I ordered in "my mind's eye" I should have ordered 6100's. That being said, I'm really glad I got the 6105's... not the 'true' jumbo size of my ESP
or Jackson, but pretty beefy next to say... standard Fender fretwire. Hopefully you'll grow to love them over time as I have, play on 'em for a while
and see if you change your mind like I did.

:rock-on:

Well if the internet says it......  :icon_jokercolor:

I've never eaten an oxymoron before, but I have had jumbo shrimp.  They are much larger than the average shrimp.

Super Turbo Jack Ace Deluxe Custom said:

I've never eaten an oxymoron before, but I have had jumbo shrimp.  They are much larger than the average shrimp.
Hence the "oxymoron"...A shrimp being jumbo...Something that is "seriously funny"...get it? :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Super Turbo Jack Ace Deluxe Custom said:

Hence the "oxymoron"...A shrimp being jumbo...Something that is "seriously funny"...get it? :dontknow:

I totally get it, but it's not an oxymoron to me because "shrimp" is the name of this animal and not a description of size.  It's describing a large version of an animal whose name is synonymous with small.  If I took it to mean jumbo small, then yes.  But who wants a shrimp cocktail with anything less than jumbo shrimp?  "Wow!  These shrimp aren't very big."  In that sense jumbo shrimp is quite accurate.

Rap music, self service?

Back