Staining my newest baby

That looks great even if you didn't mean for it to look that way! A black burst will definitely add character to it. Go for it man!

Man it looks good with some color  :icon_thumright:. Wasnt wild about it with the brown, but that purplish color looks rockin!

Just a quick question, MEK, whats that stand for?

Methyl Ethyl Ketone

It's basically Acetone.
Smells great!

Thanks Tonar and everybody. I'm undecided now about the color, and I ordered a neck that might have a very orangey fingerboard. I may wait till the neck comes and then decide to keep this or to go amber and try to match the fretboard.

Interesting - take off the blue tape and it looks a lot more 'blood' and a lot less purple. And the clean line isn't going to need too much repair. Think I'll keep it like this, and maybe do a matching peghead veneer.

That red wine color has the making of a very classy Thinline.  Gonna go clear on the back or continue with the burst over plan?

I'm thinking just clear the back once I get it filled. Either danish oil, wipe on poly, or take it out to my parents house later this summer and deft it.
It's a nice brown mahogany with some character lines. I'm a little confused by the McFaddden's filler - on the website it just says thin with Naphtha if necessary, but the label on the can makes it sound like freaking plutonium. I called them up but couldn't get anybody knowledgeable.

If anybody has dyed a peghead, I'm open to advice on that as well. Doesn't seem to hard though. Neck shipped today!

Tonar, on the can itself it makes it sound like a really toxic substance - emergency precautions if skin contact occurs, etc. - what precautions do you take with the stuff, and why is it better than nontoxic water-based filler?
DBU, I'm definitely going to clear the back once I get it filled and the 'clean line' sorted out nicely - that's a bit harder than it looks. I'm leaning towards taking it with me on vacation to my parent's house and spraying nitro there, rather than wipe on poly or something.

Finally some progress on this one - had relatives visiting and lots of work so I stuck this under the bed for a while after applying mcfadden's grain filler. Today I took it out and started sanding out the grain filler - the mcFadden's sure is nicer to work with than the stew mac water based, maybe because I let it set for several weeks. Only one filling needed, for sure - it's in there like a rock. I read the directions wrong and diluted it with lacquer thinner instead of naphtha but it worked a treat in the end. I think the matching headstock is pretty good - better if it were flamed but oh well. Pups are bill lawrence, I have a covered bl neck pup I'll probably use instead of this one.
All the parts have arrived so I did a test fit. Still need to finish sanding out the filler on the sides and touch up the 'clean line', as well as the F hole, then satin poly or tru oil, haven't decided, over it all. It's going to be a good one, now that I really need bass rig instead of one more electric guitar!

Back